Is it masonary or prefab????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilj

Mar 2, 2009
Georgia
Help, I thought I had a large masonary fireplace, it measures approx 42" in the front and tapers back to 30" in the back. Well I got down to check out the chiminey to see what it looked like inside and noticed that the box was actually metal on both sides and brick only on the back wall. The chimney was metal and round all the way up to the top. I found a plate on the side of the chimeny that said Magestic Thulman Fireplace L-42. What do I have a pre-fab?

I tell you all of this because what I WANT is a woodburning insert. All this time I was thinking it was masonary because it was inside a brick housing that was definitely built when the house was built. Now I am wondering can I still get my woodburning insert, what about the chimney, since it is already metal lined do I need to have it replaced as well. I am so confused. I want a woodburning insert to help offset the cost of propane in the winter months. My house is a 1 level ranch and approx 2000 sq feet. Any recommendations on an insert would be great. I am sorry for all the questions, but I am really confused and need expert advise.

Thanks.
Gilj

I also have a majestic fireplace and yes it is a pre-fab. Quadrafire 2700,3100,4100, and I think the 5100 are approved for pre-fab zero-clearance fireplaces. I also think Lopi, Pacific Energy also make approved inserts. You will have to probably put a 6" S.S. liner inside your chimney with block off plates to get the insert to work properly. I am not an expert but have recently installed a 4100I and know how much help I looked for before going through with the purchase and install.

BamBam, thank you so much for the quick reply. What did you base your decision on. I really want an insert with a high efficiency rating and a large firebox and a good price. Probably hoping for too much. Did you install yourself? Any other inserts that you looked at that might be worth looking into and any that I should stay away from? If you don't mind me asking what was the cost of your insert and piping with installation? I know I'll have many more questions. This seems as if it will be a pretty big purchase, I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks again.
Gilj

You are going to have to use an INSULATED liner in the system...
Your existing chimney is NOT rated for woodstove/insert temperatures...

When you say insulated liner, do you mean for the chimney. sorry for the dumb questions. But thanks for the advice.

I did a lot of research on inserts before buying, almost 2 years worth of calling, talking to dealers, and finally made my decision on a Quad when I talked to someone who actually had one, turned out I work with the man for 12 years and never knew he had one, he said he had one in his house then sold his house and put one in his new housee because the worked so well. I did install myself. The 6" liner I got from chimneylinerinc.com they seemed to have the best price, and the insert I payed $2699. for the insert, and standard surround with the cast iron trim and I called about 8 or 10 dealers before I found this one he was $300 cheaper for the same thing then any one else I also baught a connect to attach the liner to the insert I think that was $40. but well worth it since I barely had enough room to get my hands in top of the insert once it was inside the fireplace. The top block of plate I made myself. I would also reccomend putting in a block of plate at bottom of chimney which I plan to do as soon as the weather warms up.

<>When you say insulated liner, do you mean for the chimney.<>

Yep. You need to run a 6" liner from the insert up to the cap, &
it MUST be wrapped with insulating material for safety reasons,
because it's rated for a higher temperature than your existing
system is designed to handle

<>sorry for the dumb questions.<>

Your questions are by no means dumb.
You wanna do this right the first time.

***Always Remember This***

Fire will do two things....
It will HEAT your house (GOOD!) or
it will EAT your house (BAD!)...
& it will do either equally well & doesn't care which one it does...

<>But thanks for the advice.<>

You are quite welcome!

Thanks bambam and Dansky for your responses. I am so excited to have found this forum. I have at least 100 questions to ask and one day, I may even be able to contribute an answer here and there. I want my insert today, but realize I've still got plenty of work and research to do. Be looking for my other questions they are on the way real soon.

Gilj

Status
Not open for further replies.