Is it ok for the pellet stove to turn it off frequently?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cre8iveGirl2008

Hearth Supporter
Nov 10, 2008
maine
It is way too hot in the house with it going, can I turn it off and on during the day, or should I keep it running and just open doors (which seems a waste of pellets to me) My husband seems to think I shouldn't turn it off and on as it might not be good for it.

?

Unless there has been problems with your model/make stove in the past, I don't see any problem turning it on and off as much as you need to. Temperatures have been pretty nice for the most part around here and I usually turn the stove on and off (using the thermostat) as needed.

And yes, it is a waste of pellets to use the stove and open any windows and doors.

Happy heating!

Steve

It's certainly ok, but I don't like turning mine off/on all the time.
Many people report having to prematurely replace the igniter
when they do that. I try to run mine only when it's cold enough
to need it 24/7.

If your stove doesn't have an igniter then I don't see any problem
with turning off/on.

can you run your stove off of a thermostat? that for me has been the most efficient way to run my stove. 2 years ago i let it burn 24/7, mostly because i was running alot of corn, which burns fine, just sometimes hard to light. i used much less fuel last year letting it just do its thing with the thermostat.

An igniter? We turn it on by a button on the side? It's an Englander that we're using in a Mobile Home...sure gets hot in there, must be insulated really well.

The manual says ".....This stove has an induced drft system and is designed to operate continuously, as frequent shutdown is not required. The digital control board operates the unit with a time delay-relay system; this system controls the top auger feed rate by operating for a predetermined number of seconds while the bottom auger runs constantly...." I don't see what harm would be turning it off once a day to cool down, and to clean it out and the glass as well..

You don't mention changing the air and feed rate on #1 and #2 settings. The factory settings may be changed to reduce heat on these settings. Some pellets burn hotter than others. Check other posts on adjustment of the three buttons or check with Englander for details.

I just set it to the lower #. They are 1 - 9....and, we're supposed to keep the two numbers (the auger for the pellets (heat) and the blower) at the same number. Not sure there is a way to reduce this, but I will check :)

The buttons are like this: (not sure if it will come through right)

O O The left one is the heat # The right one is the Blower Speed

O O These two Lower the heat and the blower speed

O O The left one is the ON the right one is the OFF

That's it :)

Cre8iveGirl2008 said:
An igniter? We turn it on by a button on the side? .... I don't see what harm would be turning it off once a day to cool down, and to clean it out and the glass as well..

If you press a button or flip a switch to turn your stove on
then it has auto ignite, which uses an igniter. I didn't say
it would "harm" the stove, I'm just saying that many people
with all different brands of stoves have reported a shorter
igniter life when turning stoves off/on all the time.

As far as cleaning the glass goes, I just open the door while
it's running and wipe the glass quickly with a dry paper towel then
close the door. No biggy there.

Good luck with however you choose to do it.

Took some research to find the button adjustment, may take some trial and error to reduce the heat without having the stove to go out but I have don so to accomodate different pellet burn rates.

I cut and pasted the following from Englanders Stoveguy responses showing how to check and adjust the three buttons. Check and make note of the factory settings before making any changes so you can return to these if necessary. Probable default is LFF 6 LBA 4 and AOT 1 – read entire post.

when you press each button , the blower speed will display the setting for 5 seconds, then it will revert back to what ever you have the blower set on. to adjust simply press the button , then use the blower speed up or down arrows to adjust DURING THE 5 SECONDS THAT ITS DISPLAYED if you wait too long it will revert and all you will adjust is your normal blower speed. so be hasty with your adjustments, however , unless being directed by me or one of my staff , do not make large adjustments at one time , and always monitor the unit for about 20 minutes after each adjustment to ensure it will burn properly

“low fuel feed” controls the cycle “on” time of the top auger when the unit is set on its lowest heat ranges “1 and 2” does not affect the unit when the unit is set higher than that. the higher the number the longer the on cycle (the more fuel it feeds)
“low burn air” controls the amount of combustion air pulled through the fire on (you guessed it ) heat ranges “1 and 2” higher the number the more air
“air on temp” this setting does affect the unit in all heat ranges, it determines all of the temperature related functions of the unit (ie. when to turn on the room fan, when to recognise “proof of fire” when to allow the unit to turn off as it cools down during shutdown or out of fuel) this setting should always be left on “1”
note to readers: IMPORTANT not every model or every year of build will use the same settings, i know (off the top of my head) what the settings should be for any unit we have ever produced using that control board , so dont set your unit like your buddies is unless the dates and model numbers match! ASK ME otherwise. if the settings on the unit are off in the wrong way they can seriously mess with burn times as well as how clean it burns

zeta said:
Cre8iveGirl2008 said:
An igniter? We turn it on by a button on the side? .... I don't see what harm would be turning it off once a day to cool down, and to clean it out and the glass as well..

Might be just an old wives tale... but I've heard that paper towels can be abrasive to glass over time. I do the the same thing (quick wipe while stove is running) but always use a dry 100% cotton towel. It lasts an amazingly long time before it gets too dirty for its own good...

That has a lot to do with the model stove. My stove is designed to run on thermostat, it can be rigged to run all the time but it is a waste of pellets.
So far this morning it has restarted twice, last 3 weeks maybe 50-60 times , I really don't know. I would go by what your owners manual recommends, they designed the stove, can't go wrong that way.

zeta said:
Cre8iveGirl2008 said:

If you press a button or flip a switch to turn your stove on
then it has auto ignite, which uses an igniter. I didn't say
it would "harm" the stove, I'm just saying that many people
with all different brands of stoves have reported a shorter
igniter life when turning stoves off/on all the time.

Mine shuts itself off and turns itself on about 6-8times a day depending on the wind/cold outside. :)

(if you have an igniter....that's what it's made to do)

Thanks for the replies, I don't think mine has a thermostat.

I'll see if I can lower the temp at all, but I really think I have it on the lowest setting.

I'll go check (and also call the stove company) :)

editing to add that I did find those other 3 buttons on the bottom....

I don't see how you can run a pellet stove full time in a mobile home, it will just be too hot. Even on low I don't think it will work out.

In my full size home I find it unnecessary to run the stove full time in the milder part of the heating season, having a lapse of several hours of shutdown before restarting. Usually I have only one restart per day. The manufacturers instruction on daily ash removal indicates the stove is to be shut down for five minutes to clean ash from the burn pot which as I see it means the fire is out and the stove must be restarted.
I found some pellets that were as hot on setting “1-1” as others were on ”3-3” hence my reason for changing the preset factory settings.

Is that a manual restart or from a tstat? seems from following this thread an others like it that different info is presented to people on the use of a tstat (HIGH/LOW-ON/OFF) and which modes is better to use.

That has a lot to do with the model stove. My stove is designed to run on thermostat, it can be rigged to run all the time but it is a waste of pellets.
So far this morning it has restarted twice, last 3 weeks maybe 50-60 times , I really don’t know. I would go by what your owners manual recommends, they designed the stove, can’t go wrong that way.

aren't all stoves that have tstat ready options made for using a tstat? Wouldn’t having all those restarts put a lot of ware & tare on your igniter?

With milder temps I have been running it a little bit in the morning and a few hours at night before going to bed. Keeps the house just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.