Is it safer, better to install using a T or is vertically ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kh395269

Mar 27, 2008
CT
I have an insert that allows for both options. Are there any benefits of one type of installation over the other? Thanks, Kim

Sorry, my pellet insert stove allows me to switch the exhaust pipe from a horizontal venting to a vertical venting. I can do either, though I would have to cut the pipe some to use the T connecter horizontally. I'm asking if it is better to install with the T connector with clean-out, or is just as sufficient to simply connect the 4" flex chimney pipe to by 3-4" adapter right to the stove and vent vertically. Thanks, Kim

I'd go with a cleanout T and vent all the way up the chimney.
My free standing stove is set up this way and makes it very
simple to clean the pipe. Imo the easier it is to maintain, the more
likely people will do it. Just my 2c.

I would also like to know the answer to your question.

What I can say is my dealer/installer did not use a clean out tee when he installed my stove last September. He just connected the 3" pipe directly to the back of my insert. When I questioned him about not installing a tee, he told me that a tee would not fit my stove properly causing smoke to leak out. I have since learned that a tee costs well over $50, so I am sure he was just trying to save money on the install (I negotiated an all inclusive price for the stove and installation).

I burned a little over 2 tons of pellets last winter. When I cleaned the stove to get ready for this year I dumped less than a cup of fly ash out of the vent pipe. So it would appear that not having a tee (at least as far as clean out is concerned) is no big deal.

I would go with the Tee, It makes for easy cleaning...

Status
Not open for further replies.