Is my fireplace a pre-fab?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buzcranne

Oct 3, 2008
Deep South Jersey
I thought it was a masonry fireplace, and I'm all set to get an Englander 30 and slide it in. But... the back of the firebox is metal. The floor is brick, there's no metal around the opening of the fireplace (all masonry there), the chimney is tile lined. It's clearly not your typical pre-fab. As far as I know it's original to the house, which was built in '78.

So, am I safe putting an Englander in here? I attached a photo, which I realize doesn't show a whole lot. I can take better ones tonight.

Thanks

Attachments

• PA020030.jpg
    PA020030.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 246
Are there any vents on the face of the fireplace, behind the glass doors?

Heatalator liner,got one my self and insert works well.But as asked i don't see
any intake vents on bottom or vents on top of f/p facing.

i have the same setup, except my fire place had vents on the bottom and top. I am getting a hearthstone homstead stove. My wife didnt like the brick face, so I put up some durock up and put tile over it, blocking the vents. Do you guys think that will be a problem. Behind the firebox there is a hollow space for the air to circulate.

As far as I know, you can not mess with the box itself. If it has vents, they are not to be covered. Rehingd. I would say as long as there are no vents, then yes its a "Heatilator". People get confused because Heatilator is a brand, but it has turned into a more generic term. As long as there are no vents on the face of the fireplace, then you would be ok to have a surround to seal off your stove. If im wrong someone will correct me.

There are no vents.

I took some more detailed pics. My real question is whether it's safe to slide a stove in here. It will be a few inches (4-8) from the back wall of the fireplace, and about 10-12" from each side. I won't be closing it in at all... plenty of air circulation.

The entire firebox is metal, except for the floor which is brick.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 184
  • main.jpg
    main.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 173
My Kodiak sits in a large metal pre-fab fireplace. As long as you meet the firebox clearances from the manufacturer, its fine. The empty space above the box in the wall doesn't radiate any heat so I know that its not damaging any of the wall studs. I did make a hearth and surround wall with two layers of cement board, and covered it with natural multicolor (and heavy)slate. My clearances are overboard but if I decide to ever put in a large freestanding stove, I won't have to modify any of the wall or hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.