Is One Year Enough

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
I have the englander 30 and I have learned the importance of having dryy wood. I finished my about 4 cords for next winter. The first two cords were done before Halloween and the second 2 were done before thanksgiving.

I wanted to know if one year is enough to dry the wood. Also, I have been doing alot of reading about stacking it. I have it four rows deep and covered with a tarp. Is this bad? Should I restack to have one really long row? Will this really make a difference?

Also, Is there a big difference for having the wood dried for two years compared to one???

Go to Lowes and get you a wood moisture meter for around $30. Then measure the wood after you split it one more time. This will let you know if the wood is 20% moisture or less.

+1 on the meter. I'm an advocate..

The time depends on the species. Some soft woods like pine can be fine in a year. Hardwoods can take longer. Possibly the worst is oak which can take up to 3 years.

Four rows is a little deep and may take longer, but again, it depends. Splitting small will help a lot in reducing drying time also.

Top covering is okay, but don't cover the whole thing. Air has to be allowed to circulate well. It's all about air circulation.

I did buy the harbor freight moisture meter. I just wanted to know if one year is enough for the wood and I split the 4 cords manually so my pices are bigger. The wood I got is all red oak, sugar maple, and locust.

I wanted to know if I need to move the wood again and restack it to help it dry since it is in four rows and splits are on the bigger end.

Also, is wood better to make a worthwhile difference if it is 2 years old compared to one?

Yes you will be fine. Stacking 4 rows deep in not going to dry out the wood as fast as a single row perpendicular to the wind but it should be good enough. I am on my 3rd season and I did absolutely fine with one year seasoned oak and other wood, contrary to some of the other members opinion on this board. I am about to put 3 year seasoned oak in my stove, and yes it is better. But one year seasoned wood will start on fire and burn efficiently, unlike green wood. If you stay one year ahead forever, you"ll be fine. I like 2 years myself.

Best bet is to stack it in a single row in the sun and wind, if you can't do that then you have to do what you have to do but get it to 20% or below, and then burn it.

I think if I were in your position and wouldn't mind the extra work, I'd be inclined to restack with fewer rows and resplit if possible. It's just going to give you a better shot at success. Since the wood has to dry from the outside in, splitting it down can go a long way for the first year or two.

With the meter, you'll be able to determine when it's fit to burn. If you can get it to maybe 25% MC next year, you could be fine. 20% is ideal, but you can make 25% work.

Hey ram 1500 that thing got a Hemi?

Thanks should I restack it though into one row since it is bigger splits?

Here is my plan I will cut two years form now wood this spring/ summer. Thus two years form now if I finish it in end june it will be 16 months old since I start to burn at end of october. I tend to keep to that pattern so the wood will thus be 16 months old every time I use it. I just was not sure if 16 to 24 months old would make a difference?

I do not want to resplit each piece though will restacking be enough or is that unnecessary? Should I in a few months split some of the wood and check it with the meter if so when should I do this? When the wood is sat out for how many months?

IMO wood stacked 4rows deep for one year will never be below 25% moisture.

The most successful method you'll find on this forum is the three year cycle. Especially with hard to dry wood like oak. For the first year or two, you'll just have to do the best you can with the time and effort you can afford. Every month of time will help. It wouldn't hurt to take a measurement every couple of months, but you many get a bit frustrated...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I have the englander 30 and I have learned the importance of having dryy wood. I finished my about 4 cords for next winter. The first two cords were done before Halloween and the second 2 were done before thanksgiving.

I wanted to know if one year is enough to dry the wood. Also, I have been doing alot of reading about stacking it. I have it four rows deep and covered with a tarp. Is this bad? Should I restack to have one really long row? Will this really make a difference?

Also, Is there a big difference for having the wood dried for two years compared to one???

Yes. Mathematically speaking the difference is 100%

Reactions: red oak
ReallY there is that much difference for two year old wood compared to the 16 month?

From my experience where I have burned 1 - 1.5 year old oak, is some of it was dry and some wasn't depending on where it was in the stack... so some loads would burn along just fine, and other loads you have to fight with. From your other threads you've already experienced what that is like. good job working on getting ahead. If you're really working on wood for next season and want your best shot, take the advice you have receieved here, stack one row deep, top cover only, as much sun and win as possible.

Re stacking sounds a bit much. It will dry out fine the way it is. Geez

I really do not want to re stack as you mentioned BIGDADDY but for two years wood from now I am going to do one row. Also, there is something I should have noted about the oak tree it fell two years ago it was 22 inch in diameter and tall but it was hit by termites or those black beetles and occasionally there was soft spots in the middle of the wood where it was like sand. Not all was like this but most. Looking at it outside it looks old and cracked looking so maybe this will be fine?

The wetest wood was thee sugar maple and black locust that were cut and split wet. The sugar maple was very heavy and the split face was wet to the touch. Do you think I may need to restack now given this new info or no I am good for next winter I just won't do this for now on.

It depends on your need for wood. If you can just let these rows sit for years, let them sit. If you need dry wood next year, re stack. I personally would stack the locust separately. Mix the locust in on cold days or nights.

just do a double row laid on pallets that are on stones to keep wood off the ground. you need 5/6 pallets laid 48'' wide & 40'' deep. pallet ends work great. spend a hour here & there DONT think about it & just do it.

EDIT, Dang, you need 8 pallets wide (32') @ 5' tall double stacked to get to 4 cords. that would be 64' 5 high in a single row. guessing each split is 18'' long.......

Last edited:
IMO (and I'm in the same general area as the OP) the maple will probably be decent, but large splits of oak and locust will be marginal at best after one year. It will burn, but not easily or well. In the OP's position I'd be looking for an opportunity to get a bunch of silver maple or cherry, both of which are very common in the area and will dry rapidly, to substitute / supplement next year.

I cut white birch this past late-spring. Stuff was dripping when when I cut it, I'm burning it now and it's bruning very good. It needs very good wind exposure, and split small. I see a bunch of sizzling coming your way on trying to burn yours next year stacked 4 deep. I would try to get more wood that would dry easier for next year (white birch? white maple?), split it small, and stack it 1 wide or no more than two, in the wind. Leave what you have now for the year after, re-pile if you can find the time but not at the expense of time spent getting more wood ready.

If there is a foot of air space between the four rows, leave it alone. I have stacked red and white oak in multiple rows since Moby Dick was a sardine. But the stuff needs at least two years top covered.

Get the dang meter.

I do have the meter but I did put the rows next two each other. Maybe I willl just pull out the two middle rows and make two long rows instead of one will this helps since it is mostly hardwood or should I let it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.