Is the Dutchwest line of stoves history?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardrockmaple

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2010
Nova Scotia
I went to a local Vermont Castings dealer today to see about replacing my 16 year old DW 2460 with a new one. They advised me that they had none nor did their supplier. I expressed my frustration and they looked into a bit further, seems the Everburn version may still be available but, to their knowledge, the cat version of the DW line has been discontinued. Goshdarmit!! I had my heart set on another one.

Guess I'll do a complete rebuild on this one.

Check with a Monessen dealer. I'm not sure if these stores are close to you, I get 3 listings:

Centre Jardin Jm Tremblay Et Fils Inc
418-562-2805

Plomberie Octave Roy & Fils Inc
418-296-3179

Boutique Joli Feu
418-335-5350

http://www.monessenhearth.com/family/Stoves/Catalytic/DutchWest/

Otherwise, maybe consider a Woodstock stove? The Keystone is a good match for the small DW.

The 418 exchange is about 8-10 hour drive. Thanks for trying to help though. Stone stoves hold no appeal for me, I'm a cast iron guy. I just bought the SS cat for my stove last year and would like to get my monies worth. The dealer has offered to rebuild my stove, says it is about a 8 hour job, I'm thinking I'll give it a try. I have replaced gaskets, a cat, door glass etc. in the past, shouldn't be that difficult.

Shame about the DW's, damn fine stove.

I'll be darned, thanks! Bad news is one of the dealers listed for my area is who told me they were no longer available. I'll have to look into this further.

Damn, I honestly thought I had Googled the hell out of Dutchwest, thanks again.

Maybe they didn't know that they had to look in the other book... Try again. It doesn't cost to do it over the phone...

Matt

Hardrockmaple said:
I went to a local Vermont Castings dealer today to see about replacing my 16 year old DW 2460 with a new one...Guess I'll do a complete rebuild on this one.
Has your old one got too many parts that need replacement to warrant a rebuild?
I'd like to rebuild mine, but I know for sure that I need a new fountain assembly. The cast sides of the stove look a little gray. I'm hoping they're not warped too badly...could be a bear to reassemble otherwise. I love that little stove, though, and would like to keep it. I may just replace the door and ash pan gaskets and try it out and hope it's not leaking too badly at the seams.

Woody Stover said:
Hardrockmaple said:
I went to a local Vermont Castings dealer today to see about replacing my 16 year old DW 2460 with a new one...Guess I'll do a complete rebuild on this one.
Has your old one got too many parts that need replacement to warrant a rebuild?
I'd like to rebuild mine, but I know for sure that I need a new fountain assembly. The cast sides of the stove look a little gray. I'm hoping they're not warped too badly...could be a bear to reassemble otherwise. I love that little stove, though, and would like to keep it. I may just replace the door and ash pan gaskets and try it out and hope it's not leaking too badly at the seams.

By "fountain" I'm assuming you mean refractory? I replaced my refractory a few years ago, it is still in good shape, the SS cat has only one season on it, I replaced top gaskets last year, door glass this year (along with gaskets). My issue is the side seams. Last year I noticed fire coming sideways from the two seams on the side with no door. When burning with damper closed I could actually see what looked like a "blow torch" effect shooting out from these seams. Mid winter I dismantled the stove and re-cemented both seams from the inside. This stopped the "blow torch" effect then but when I fired the stove back up this fall I see the same thing starting to happen again. I'm concerned that the side panel has warped to the point that the gaps have grown to large to hold the cement indefinitely. The stove owes me nothing, it has performed flawlessly for all these years, I'm of the opinion that a new stove is now the answer versus continuing to throw money at this one. Hopefully I will find a new one.

It has been a fine stove, I want another just like it.

rgds.

edited to add; the dealer is really pushing the 2-1 Vermont Castings stoves, I question their intent (not being able to find the DW) I won't buy one as they do not meet my requirements.

Hardrockmaple said:
By "fountain" I'm assuming you mean refractory?... My issue is the side seams. Last year I noticed fire coming sideways from the two seams on the side with no door. When burning with damper closed I could actually see what looked like a "blow torch" effect shooting out from these seams.
No, this is the thing that looks like a doughnut and distributes the secondary air into the combustor. Mine is fried, but my SIL's is in good shape...probably because the combustor was shot. :lol: The sides on mine look like they may be slightly warped and that is a concern of mine. I should have looked for the "blow torch" inside of mine when I had it running last winter but I wasn't aware of that indicator until I saw it on my other SIL's Fireview later.
I picked up a SS combustor for mine, and also put one in my SIL's 2460. You say you ran yours for one season; Did you find that it plugged up faster with fly ash than the ceramic? Did you have to clean it often? I'm wondering if there's a way to remove the baffle plate to vacuum it from inside the firebox, instead of having to remove the top and disturb the interam gasket...

Woody Stover said:
Hardrockmaple said:
By "fountain" I'm assuming you mean refractory?... My issue is the side seams. Last year I noticed fire coming sideways from the two seams on the side with no door. When burning with damper closed I could actually see what looked like a "blow torch" effect shooting out from these seams.
No, this is the thing that looks like a doughnut and distributes the secondary air into the combustor. Mine is fried, but my SIL's is in good shape...probably because the combustor was shot. :lol: The sides on mine look like they may be slightly warped and that is a concern of mine. I should have looked for the "blow torch" inside of mine when I had it running last winter but I wasn't aware of that indicator until I saw it on my other SIL's Fireview later.
I picked up a SS combustor for mine, and also put one in my SIL's 2460. You say you ran yours for one season; Did you find that it plugged up faster with fly ash than the ceramic? Did you have to clean it often? I'm wondering if there's a way to remove the baffle plate to vacuum it from inside the firebox, instead of having to remove the top and disturb the interam gasket...

Ahhh gotcha, no mine (fountain) seems fine. The SS cat performs well, lower "fire off" temps is what I like most about it. It hasn't plugged up any faster, but I have a 32 ft. straight up (rear vent 16" run to "T") 6 in. SS liner exhausting through an internal brick chimney. My problem has been trying to control the fire, no worry about draft here. As to cleaning, I've always had go in thru the top so I'm no help there. I bought a roll of interam gasket somewhere on the 'net a few years back, definitely cuts the cost and aggravation of replacing the darned thing.

The real issue with the side seams leaking is I notice a drop of about 2 hrs. in burn time. Normally I can load the little stove up around 11 p.m. get up around 6 a.m. and still have a nice bed of coals, with the leaks those coals are pretty much gone by 6.

Has the Woodstock proven to be an acceptable replacement? I'm away a lot, meaning when I get home on a Friday at 8 p.m. I can have heat pouring off the DW within 45 mins., what is the heat up times for your Woodstock?

Thanks.

Hardrockmaple said:
I have a 32 ft. straight up (rear vent 16" run to "T") 6 in. SS liner exhausting through an internal brick chimney. My problem has been trying to control the fire, no worry about draft here...Has the Woodstock proven to be an acceptable replacement? I'm away a lot, meaning when I get home on a Friday at 8 p.m. I can have heat pouring off the DW within 45 mins., what is the heat up times for your Woodstock?
I've only got about 17' of stack so maybe air leaks won't have as much effect here.
I'm still learning to run the Keystone. When I got it installed, all I had to burn was some quick-dried White Ash which wasn't at optimal MC. I've got dry wood now but have only been burning smaller fires so far this season, with smaller Cherry and Sugar Maple splits. I've been using the flue thermo and cat probe (which I think reflects internal firebox temp more than the actual cat temp in this stove.) I'll either light a top-down fire, which burns clean, or if I want quicker heat I'll get a little load of smaller stuff blazing pretty good and get the stove internal temp up before adding bigger fuel. Then, if I get the flue thermo around 600 (right in back of the flue outlet) and the cat probe around 700-800 for about 10 minutes, I can light off the cat when the stove top is only at 150 as opposed to the 250 recommended in the manual. The stove takes a while before it starts raising the temp in the 720 sq.ft. room, but you can feel the radiant heat sooner, all the way across the room. With some high-output wood, burn times should be great. I've already gotten 12-hour low cat burns on med-high BTU woods like White Ash or Red Oak. It's early, but so far I'm liking the Keystone a lot.

EDIT: I got a blower for the DW last year...that thing really raises room temp in a hurry. If you're going to be starting a lot of fires or reloading when room temp has dropped, you might want to go with a convective stove...

Hardrockmaple said:
Has the Woodstock proven to be an acceptable replacement? I'm away a lot, meaning when I get home on a Friday at 8 p.m. I can have heat pouring off the DW within 45 mins., what is the heat up times for your Woodstock?

Thanks.

I can't compare my Keystone to your DW but I can tell you it will throw the heat in less than an hour. From a cold start I routinely get her up over 500 in 45 minutes. The new s/s cat along with a cat probe makes for quicker light offs and quicker heat. Like Woody I can also obtain 12 hour burns from this little stove with good hardwoods like Oak and Locust, very impressive for a small 1.4 cu ft fire box. It also throws the heat when you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.