Is there sales tax on wood pellets in NY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy H

Oct 4, 2009
Upstate NY
couldn't find the answer in the search but I did find some threads about people being charged tax in other states when they shouldn't have.

I bought a few bags this week at TSC and got charged tax, no big deal but I'm about to go buy a couple tons and don't want to get charged tax if I shouldn't be.

No there should be no sales tax in NY

BXpellet said:
No there should be no sales tax in NY

Not exactly true, BX. It depends on where in NY you are. The state can't charge tax, but local municipalities can.

Andy H, This is the “NYS Local Sales and Use Tax Rates On Residential Energy Sources and Services” form.

Look at Part 2, and that lists all the places in NY that CAN charge for pellets.
If the location of the TSC that charged the tax isn’t on the list,
print the form out and show them, then demand your $$ back.

www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/publications/sales/pub718r_809.pdf

Edit: BTW, don't let them tell you it's an "old" or "out of date" form....it's dated "Effective Sept. 1, 2009"

Different stores in cayuga county are charging differently. Home Depo and Lowes are not charging tax but the private dealers are charging 4% and calling it a fuel tax. Standard sales tax in cayuga county NY is 8%.

odlaw said:
Different stores in cayuga county are charging differently. Home Depo and Lowes are not charging tax but the private dealers are charging 4% and calling it a fuel tax. Standard sales tax in cayuga county NY is 8%.

Then run to HD or Lowes and buy pellets if they have good brands and decent prices....they should be charging local tax.

As for the "private dealers are charging 4% and calling it a fuel tax", they are allowed to do that...it's correct. Standard sales tax has nothing to do with pellets.

Franks said:
shhhh, dont give NYS any more bright ideas

YES! Be QUIET!! If they can try to tax soda and bail-out the MTA in NYC, they will surely try to tax heating fuel.

Best way to combat this, my friends, is on Nov. 3, VOTE 'DA BUMS OUT!! and I mean ALL OF THEM!!

Status
Not open for further replies.