Is this a symptom of anything?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zerowkul98

Oct 5, 2016
Bolton, MA
I have a heatilator cab50, i replaced both electric motors this summer and took apart all piping, cleaned well and the cold weather has hit New England.

Lately, as the stove kicks on and begins to ignite, the entire burn chamber fills with smoke and LOTS of it come out of the exhaust pipe...more than what i remember in past years.
After a few seconds, the flame is clearly viewable and the chamber empties of smoke quickly.

Is this a symptom of anything? Need a new igniter?

Combustion fan tying up. Did you replace that motor or not? If you didn't you have dry bearings and the fan isn't spooling up correctly. If you did, the bearings could still be dry. Other thing is a dirty combustion air path but you said you cleaned everything, of course my question is.... how good was your cleaning.

Nope sounds normal

Reactions: johneh
My stove will do that occasionally and it’s running solid.

Reactions: Ssyko
Normal for mine. Sometimes it takes longer to ignite hence more smoke, sometimes it’s pretty quick. Pretty sure it’s the randomness of how the pellets fall into the pot and how close they get to the igniter hole.

Thanks for the replies.

Fans all work fine, the exhaust fan kicks on 1st when it calls for heat, and it’s brand new like i said. I just wanted to make sure that it wasnt something obvious that others would warn me needs to be switched out.