Is this creosote in the firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Michbrog23

Dec 4, 2022
Danville, KY
2CCC2660-CF9C-4A29-BA61-E6B7C1577474.jpeg39D965F0-F2D8-491B-8CD1-A5CE6592DB1D.jpeg8C4A6096-583A-46CB-85E0-03C48EA0761D.jpeg86D547AF-FFC5-45BE-859B-FE2C2311451E.jpeg92B55199-BA17-433E-BAE0-770664AED78A.jpeg

So went to reload this morning and noticed this on the back of the firebox. Is this creosote, and if so what are my next steps. Definitely concerned, considering it’s only a week old.

Yes but it not that big of a deal. That is the secondary air passage. It will be colder than the rest of the firebox. A good hot fire will clean it up. I’m seeing some soot on the fire bricks telling me the fire wasn’t super hot. Or you turned it down while it was still burning towards the end. Nothing that alarms me.

Now if this is happening repeatedly in your flue yeah that’s a bigger deal.

Thank you for the replies, I’ve been afraid to overfire the stove and I guess I’m being too cautious. So I need to start filling it up fuller also?

What model of stove and can you describe the venting system?

If you want to feel better about that firebox, I can post a photo of the inside of one of my Blaze Kings. It's possible to maintain a clean flue with a crusty firebox, if the secondary burn system is firing on all cylinders, so a crusty firebox does not necessarily mean you'll have a crusty flue. And the flue is your primary concern.

That said, creo in the firebox does mean you're either running low burn rates (fine, if secondaries don't stall) or wetter wood. As noted, check flue in a few weeks, and watch the bird screen at the top of your chimney, assuming you have one installed.

Reactions: moresnow
You should take a peek inside a Blaze king firebox, you’d probably faint to see the amount of buildup after just a few days.

Cause the firebox temp to drop?
No, if there’s a leak at your offset it’ll be pulling cooler air into the chimney. That’ll cool down the stack temps. It would be happening above/downstream of the firebox.

Since you have a tube stove, blaze king firebox creosote levels don’t apply to your situation.

Burn hotter.

Haven’t
No, if there’s a leak at your offset it’ll be pulling cooler air into the chimney. That’ll cool down the stack temps. It would be happening above/downstream of the firebox.

Since you have a tube stove, blaze king firebox creosote levels don’t apply to your situation.

Burn hotter.

Burn hotter.
Thanks so much, I’m assuming I need to have that offset replaced before operating the stove again?

Definitely do not use the stove with a known fault in the exhaust system. It's fire in your house, be cautious and fix it properly before using it.

Reactions: Michbrog23
Definitely do not use the stove with a known fault in the exhaust system. It's fire in your house, be cautious and fix it properly before using it.
Would it be safe to try and put some self tapping screws on the separated part and seal it with furnace cement?

Would it be safe to try and put some self tapping screws on the separated part and seal it with furnace cement?
Id ask one of the professionals here. I'm an avid burner but not a chimney pro. @bholler is your man for this kind of question.

If the split reduces draft to fire box it could reduce temps. Take off the clean out of the off set an inspect. I want to know why it split. 30 feet is tall. Could be over drafting causing really high temps at the box.

Gasket would be better. The two metals will expand and contract differently. Cement won’t last long there. Screws will certainly help close the gap.

Reactions: EbS-P
The offset box is defective and must be replaced, asap. In the short term, pack some furnace cement into the gap and keep an eye on it for any additional opening up.

When you get a moment, can you add your stove to your signature line?

Reactions: kcmclellan
The offset box is defective and must be replaced, asap. In the short term, pack some furnace cement into the gap and keep an eye on it for any additional opening up.

When you get a moment, can you add your stove to your signature line?
Thank you, certainly will