Is this Fireview a good deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backpack

Sep 2, 2010
Virginia
I have talked the seller of this Woodstock Fireview down to $900. He thinks the stove is about 10 years old; it was in his home when he bought it 8 years ago. From the photos, do you see any dealbusters? Anything specific I should be looking for when I see the stove in person? I figure it needs a new catalytic combuster. Is this stove a good deal?

Attachments

• fireview1.jpg
    fireview1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 492
  • fireview2.jpg
    fireview2.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 478
  • fireview3.jpg
    fireview3.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 479
  • fireview4.jpg
    fireview4.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 488
  • fireview5-1.jpg
    fireview5-1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 523
  • fireview6-2.jpg
    fireview6-2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 488
That is the old Fireview 201 model which was made prior to 1996 so it's over 10 years old. Check the UL lable on the back, should have year built. By the looks of the creosote under the lid I'd say the cat is shot. Check inside for warped baffle and cast iron parts. Also check the bypass plate. You can buy a new Fireview for $1500 after fed tax credit so $900 sounds high to me for an old stove that may need new parts.

Todd said:
You can buy a new Fireview for $1500 after fed tax credit so $900 sounds high to me for an old stove that may need new parts.

If that's not a dealbuster, I don't know what is. An extra $600 for a brand new stove?

I think anything that old should be in the $500 range. If you're going to pay a grand for a used stove, it should only be several years old at most, IMHO.

PS - I paid $150 for a 20 (?) year old Fireview , but it was in much worse shape - all the innards were ripped out! Nevertheless, it is a box that holds fire, occasionally used for power-outage backup heat. Functional furniture.

Agreed. Go with caution and a tight wallet. At $500, it may be worth the risk if no damage has been done to the stove.

I almost bought one myself . But I read on this thread that the airwash is not to good and u get allot of black on the glass so no fireviewing which is important to me. The one near me was hardly used and was going for 600$

I just bought a Fireview off Craigslist a few days ago. It was manufactured March 2006 so it had been used at most 3 winters. Still, there is some rust on and around the loading door, some creosote stains on the soapstone, and the cat is definitely bad (marble-sized chunks missing). He was asking $1,100 but I offered $1,000 given the work and parts I'd have to buy. He accepted and I have another project!

Not for $900. It's way more than 10 yrs. old. We have one and we love it, but as sagely pointed out you can buy a new one for not much more cabbage. No brainer, methinks.

I really appreciate the feedback. We're going to go ahead and order a brand-new Fireview tomorrow. This does seem to make the most sense. I just didn't want to pass up the chance to save some "cabbage," if the used stove was one of those deals that can't be passed up. By the way, here's the craigslist post for the stove I was considering, in case anyone else is interested: http://richmond.craigslist.org/for/1862241202.html

Backpack, you will be happy with the new Fireview. Are you planning on driving up there to pick it up? A big party there on Sept. 10-11. You could get the stove to save on freight and enjoy the festivities too.

Backwoods Savage said:
Backpack, you will be happy with the new Fireview. Are you planning on driving up there to pick it up? A big party there on Sept. 10-11. You could get the stove to save on freight and enjoy the festivities too.

You forgot to add the real selling point on making the trip . . . Backpack if you go you might be able to meet Backwoods who will allegedly be raffling off his purple Woodstock sweater vest. ;) :)

On a serious note . . . I don't think I'll be able to make it Dennis . . . just too much going on this month and too little time. Maybe next year.

I ordered the stove today. We had thought about making the trip; however, it's a long drive from Virginia and will end up costing more in terms of gas, tolls, lodging, etc. than what we would save. The Woodstock factory is definitely on my list of places to go someday.

Again, thanks for all of the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.