Is this safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possumguts

Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2009
Western NY
Found this pic on the net, was wondering how close to the stove you can place firewood safely? This doesn't seem to smart to me but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Attachments

• woodstove2.jpg
    woodstove2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 459
No, it's not safe. Not if they intend to burn in that appliance the way it sits in the picture. Minimum clearance to combustibles as stated in the manufacturer's manual means just that...not just for safe installation, but for safe operation as well. The closest I ever came to having a woodstove related disaster was because I had firewood sitting too close to the side of a burning stove. (They really need to get the flower pots off of that stove before they burn in it, too.) Rick

It looks like it was summer there. I think that log holder is movable too. As long as they moved it by fall I think they were okay ;)

Yeah, looks like some sort of "home decor" photo. Certainly it could be made safe with a little rearranging. Can't figure out that thing that looks like a piece of stainless chimney pipe...maybe it's part of the drapes behind, dunno. Can't tell. Rick

Get rid of the girly flowers and put a bail of weed on top, gather round, and do stove hits. ;)

We stack some wood pretty close to the stove . It is from one of the rear corners of the stove to the wall. Never have a problem and the wood doesn't even get warm.

I have a brick surround around my stove and I do dry out wood on the sides and behind. Not recommending it, but it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.