1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

My neighbor had a stove instullation last year that I helped him with. A couple of days ago he had a so called professional installer/sweep come out and do an inspection and cleaning. The inspector said all is well with the stove but the chimney is seriously filled with creosote ! That was a bald faced lie as I cleaned his chimney 3 times last year to help him out. When we looked it was very clean for this winter. Any how my neighbor decided to go ahead and have it done anyway. The sweep used what is called a chain flail !!! in a stainless liner it fell out of the drill and destroyed his stove baffles. I am positive you should never ever do that to any liner. Is this a common practice ? They wont refund him or pay damages. Any how here is a video of something similar. I was not home when they did this but from the description it looks like what the guy in the video is doing except he had a stainless liner.

Pete

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. NextEndeavor

NextEndeavor Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southern Iowa
    Wouldn't want that thing in our stainless liner! My correctly sized polly brush does just fine. By the way, I always wear (after the first experience) a mask to keep the creosote powder out of the lungs too.
  3. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    They won't pay for damages they caused? Doesn't sound very "professional" to me. !!! How much will replacement parts cost?
  4. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    I would say that would be a bad idea on a S/S liner! The "sweep" should be responsible for the stove damage as he is to blame as the chain flail fell out of his drill plus a poly brush is what the S/S liner people recommend. I would think using chains would void his liner warranty! Most S/S liners are only .005" to .006" thick and the chains would beat them to death!

Ray
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Yes the installer refused to pay for the baffles and I suspect the liner is ruined too. My stove dealer is being fantastic and going to send there sweep out to do a free inspection today. Unfortunately it is there only source of heat and its a bit chilly today. I told them not to fire it up until it gets properly inspected because that whip looks like it could have ruined their liner by its design. We are going down to where he got the sweep after the proper inspection and I do believe my neighbor will prevail.

Pete
  6. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

That's what I thought after helping install ! Looking at that flail it seems like it would have punched clean through a liner.

Pete
  7. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    This could end up in court as this guy sounds like a fly by night operator so your friend could end up eating crow.. Sweeping chimneys is not rocket science and common sense should dictate procedure. I don't know what it takes to get CSIA credentials or if this guy even has any certifications but I do know that to become a licensed journeyman electrician in Mass. takes close to 5 years now. I could have gotten a bachelor's degree faster than my journeyman's license!

Ray
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  8. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    There is no way this guy has any credentials. You have to be careful with the chains, as they will damage clay liners if not used carefully. They should never be used in a liner!
    Backwoods Savage and raybonz like this.
  9. HotCoals

HotCoals Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    If this guy won't pay up I would have him in small claims court as fast as I could!
    Bring a sweep with you!
    Pallet Pete and raybonz like this.
  10. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Well the good sweep is over to the neighbors house right now I am on my way over there.

Pete
  11. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Well that was fast! He climbed up climbed down and said it looks like it went through a paper shredder. Any advice on how to deal with the dingbats would be appreciated. They are licensed my neighbor got a copy of it before labor was done.

Pete
    raybonz likes this.
  12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    My liner says warranty VOID if you use a STEEL BRUSH!! let along a chain!!!
    Backwoods Savage and raybonz like this.
  13. clemsonfor

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    That's what I was thinking, I don't thik I would even want those in a clay lined chimney!!
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  14. HotCoals

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    I would get statements from that guy on paper and would hope he would go to small claims with me if need be.
    Why would the first guy even run that chain deal in a liner..he had to know better!
    Get plenty of pics of all the damage that he can.
    He needs prices of the liner and parts to the stove that need replaced.
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  15. HotCoals

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    Matter of fact since he can not burn the way things are he needs to get it done now...no furnace I think you said.
    He will have those receipts.
    I would give the guy who messed it all up one more chance to make things right and if not tell him you will see him in court.
    Good luck to him,but he should be fine.
  16. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Well we are headed over to the bad sweeps business I will let you know how it goes. Thanks guys hopefully Larry can get his chimney fixed.

Pete
    Backwoods Savage, raybonz and pen like this.
  17. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Isn't something similar used to bust out a clay liner?

Amazing.
  18. Malatu

Malatu New Member

I'd get an estimate from a certified sweep/installer of the cost of repairs and or replacement. I'd send a copy to the operator registered mail. Asking requesting an offer for remedy. In the letter, give them a 10 working days to reply. Also, in the letter inform them if they don't reply or satisfactorily make good, you will take actions in small claims court. This process can be overwhelming but in reality, it's not that hard to do. In Delaware, it costs $45 dollars to file an action. The important thing to do is make sure all of your ducks are in order and the t's are crossed and the i's dotted.
    Dune and raybonz like this.
  19. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    No, this tool is used to remove glazed creosote. But repeated use can damage the clay liners. If a customer needs to have chains used and is unwilling to fix the problem causing the glazed creosote build up, He must be fired!::-)
    raybonz likes this.
  20. clemsonfor

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    those
    csl I though removed the glaze to then sweep? maybe this is there place
  21. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Wow :oops: , you can't fix stupid. I hope this horrible sweep steps up and fixes this but man, sounds like you are going to be taking him to small claims court and these people will be out of heat unless they can afford to advance the funds to get this fixed.
  22. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    CSL is to help break down the glaze, it's done over time. Sweeps need to remove the glaze while they are there and the chains are the ticket.
  23. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    To be honest, I wouldn't want this man back at my home. If this is a reputable company, and they are willing to send a different sweep out to do the repair work, then I'd be ok so long as I was there hovering over them.

This is just plain terrible and unnecessary.

pen
    etiger2007 and raybonz like this.
  24. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    I'm just hoping Pete and his friend don't end up getting arrested when they visit the business. Cuz, I know I'd have a hard time keeping calm after something like this.
    pen likes this.
  25. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Shocked to hear that lol.. PITBULL!! :)

Ray