Is This True?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2013
Bellingham, WA
My wife is concerned because we're getting some wood smoke smell in the house. Not a lot but we have a newborn child and she doesn't want to hurt his lungs. So she and the baby have been holed up in the master bedroom with the door shut most of the time.

The installer is looking at trying to raise the stove pipe. It's currently at 22 feet but lower than the peak of the roof and surrounded by trees on the other three sides. Today he wrote, "You will always have a little smoke in the home and this makes me nervous that you are just finding this out now. I can tell immediately when I look at homes if they use wood as a primary source or secondary source by the smell and residue."

Is his statement accurate or is he blowing smoke?

Not accurate but a little smell is also not a big deal most of the time cant really say in your case i am not there

Hard to say if he is "blowing smoke" or not. Of course some wood smoke smell is natural. Either your wife is hyper sensitive or you do have a problem.
Why don't you run your pipe up to 2 feet above the peak and see if the situation improves.

Some smell I would think to be normal. Visible haze is definitely not normal. Open all air controls and wait 30 seconds to a minute before opening the loading door. And open it slowly.

I would definitely get the chimney above the peak as well.

Reactions: Beer Belly
The two feet could make a world of difference.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
It is not nessecary to be above the peak just 2 feet above anything with in 10 feet but if it is in the trees you might have to go a little more than that to get it to work

The installer is looking at trying to raise the stove pipe. It's currently at 22 feet but lower than the peak of the roof and surrounded by trees on the other three sides.
If it's lower than the peak, you need to be aware of the "10-3-2" rule. Here's a sketch, but you should do some more research on it.

10-3-2 rule.JPG

It's hard to say if what you are experiencing is excessive, but it my experience, it's pretty hard to avoid getting a little smoke in the house especially when you open the door to reload, etc. And it doesn't take much to smell it. My wife is very sensitive to it.

Reactions: smokedragon
Wood smoke can be hard on lungs..for sure a baby's lungs.

Reactions: Cockshutt
It complies with the 10-3-2 rule. They don't want to go higher because it would be difficult to get the chimney up that high. There's no place for a ladder and securing it would be challenging too. They've got a kit securing the sections currently in place. Going higher would require a custom mount (they tell me).

Wood smoke can be hard on lungs..for sure a baby's lungs.
Neither of us wants to hurt the baby. That's our first priority. I noticed the problem when breathing near his hair. It smelled like wood smoke. This can't be good.

What's the weather like there? It's 70 here in Indiana. When its rainy humid and 60, you could be be experiencing draft problems that 2 extra feet of chimney can't overcome.
Winter will be here soon enough. :cool:

Well you should not be getting smoke in the house during the burn..maybe a little when reloading.
Do you ever get back puffs into the room?
Do you see smoke in the room at times?
Do you have a c02 detector in the room with the stove?

and does opening a window near the stove fix the problem?

If the baby's hair smells like wood smoke, you have a problem. Time to go to Plan B.

Reactions: AnalogKid
Hair grabs any smells. Why do you think crime labs live by the stuff.

Burning the roast will hurt the baby more than a little wood smoke in the air. Or the crap blowing out of your furnace vents for that matter.

Reactions: Cory S
I'm going to ask my wife to take a look at this thread. Perhaps run our concerns by the pediatrician.

It's been in the 50s and 60s during the day, dropping into the high 40s at night. Perhaps a bit colder by us since we're in the woods.

• Although wood smoke conjures up fond memories of sitting by a cozy fire, it is important to know that the components of wood smoke and cigarette smoke are quite similar, and that many components of both are carcinogenic. Wood smoke contains fine particulate matter, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, sulfur dioxide and various irritant gases such as nitrogen oxides that can scar the lungs. Wood smoke also contains chemicals known or suspected to be carcinogens, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and dioxin.
  • Wood smoke interferes with normal lung development in infants and children. It also increases children’s risk of lower respiratory infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia.
http://www.ehhi.org/woodsmoke/health_effects.shtml

• Although wood smoke conjures up fond memories of sitting by a cozy fire, it is important to know that the components of wood smoke and cigarette smoke are quite similar, and that many components of both are carcinogenic. Wood smoke contains fine particulate matter, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, sulfur dioxide and various irritant gases such as nitrogen oxides that can scar the lungs. Wood smoke also contains chemicals known or suspected to be carcinogens, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and dioxin.
  • Wood smoke interferes with normal lung development in infants and children. It also increases children’s risk of lower respiratory infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia.
http://www.ehhi.org/woodsmoke/health_effects.shtml

No one is talking about huffing woodsmoke. I'm pretty sure we all got that memo.

When do you get the smell in the house? Just on reloads/starting or is it all the time? As with a lot of things, my opinion is that often issues are a matter of degree and exposure. Developing country smoky open cooking fire inside a house for hours every day = very bad, a bit of smoke on reload for 2 min every 12 hrs from an advanced woodstove = not so bad.

Reactions: Cory S
No one is talking about huffing woodsmoke. I'm pretty sure we all got that memo.

Well he asked. But I doubt he has all that much smoke in his house from the stove. Shouldn't have anyways.
Still nothing to play around with if things are not right.

I will leave the experts to post further on solutions to this but wanted to share my experience with the op and give my thoughts. Ive had this a few times in my 9 year old sons room which is on the level of our house above the wood stove (and 10 feet or so back). Its the closest bedroom to the chimney. Ive noticed in mild weather when his window is open and the right kind of winds and air pressure are present I get a bit of smoke in his room. This happens rarely. Did I have a dampered down smolder of a fire overnight? Not sure really but I try to avoid this at all costs. I grasp for reasons and solutions like you are. Fortunately it has only happened a few times. I'm in the east kootenays of the BC Rockies and we've had pretty mild weather for October so I cant imagine how mild it is for you there. Maybe its just to warm? Did you have this last year during winter? I did my calculation and high 40s for a low is about 9 c. I have a heck of a time at that temp not getting reload back puffing caused by poor draft. Maybe you need to wait a bit. Good luck.

Reactions: Cockshutt
If the mother is holing up in the bedroom with the child, then that would be enough for me. I'd close down the stove for the time being. Real or not, Mom's concerns are paramount.

Last edited:
Have to be honest. You are in a bad spot. I don't think having your wife read this thread will help.

Everyone that walks into our house has always noted there is a mild odor that is distinct for wood smoke. No one smells it in clothes or on couches or on their own stuff when they get home, but they don't know anyone else that burns with wood.

If you are truly getting and excessive amount of wood smoke smell that is clearly noticeable that does indicate a problem. Me and my wife can not detect it. Guests can only detect it upon immediate entry and adjust quickly and can not notice it after a few minutes in the house until they visit again.

Try to elongate the stack, see if they helps.

If not and the wood smoke continues to be an issue, even if you don't think it is an issue, stoves gatta go if you value your marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.