Is your wood covered yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodbutcher thanks for posting that pic, I like how you use the boards to extend the cover. learn something new everyday, guess i have a project for tomorrow.

back on topic, 2 cords covered, will cover the rest once it gets cold.

BrotherBart said:
I went ahead and covered it. We have our first rain in over a month coming tonight.

Brother Bart, do you season your wood in the tight piles like that the entire time or do you move the wood to that setup once its dry? i'm just wondering if a setup like that allows enough airflow. if it does I'd love to do a double row stack.

matt

SCFA said:
BrotherBart said:
I went ahead and covered it. We have our first rain in over a month coming tonight.

Brother Bart, do you season your wood in the tight piles like that the entire time or do you move the wood to that setup once its dry? i'm just wondering if a setup like that allows enough airflow. if it does I'd love to do a double row stack.

matt

I don't move wood anymore than I have too. Once stacked it stays there until it goes in the stove. There is a 12" to 18" air channel between each of the rows and the prevailing wind here blows right through them. The front half of the stacks were cut and split in April and May and the moisture meter puts them between 19 and 23 percent presently.

The back half is next years wood. Hopefully.

you mention prevailing wind, are you in a windy location? my wood stacking location is kind of built into the back of a mtn and doesnt get alot of wind, gets a decent amount of sun but not much wind.

Not windy but most of the year there is a five mile an hour or so breeze that blows through the woods and the stacks. One drying aid the wood had this year is the longest drought I believe the area has ever seen and higher than normal temps.

In the twenty two-years I have been here this is the first year I have ever gotten a year ahead on firewood. It will be interesting next year to see the difference in burning. If there is any. I had some sitting on the breezeway for four years a few years ago and didn't see a dimes worth of difference from the stuff I had cut the year I burned it.

cozy heat for my feet said:
Dang. Woodbutcher - that gets my vote for the best lookin' stack of wood I think I've ever seen! Clean, straight lines - wow! I will only say that the wood looks like it is pretty tight - not a lot of room for air. But if it is already seasoned, that might not be an issue.

In response to the original question, I don't ever cover my wood unless there is threat of snow. I have just enough of an overhang at the house that there is always a few dry logs to get started with - any others will dry off inside by the time I'm ready to burn. The only thing I really hate is having a couple inches of crusty snow stuck on the log.

Corey

Thanks! I cut my lenghts to 20 inches....my stack is 21Lx4Wx5H........If its a bit green I'll leave 8 inches between the 2 long rows for better air.
Now I just need some cold weather........

budman said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
My big stack has been covered since last January....and my other single row stack of Hickory has been covered since June. Only the top gets covered and I leave hang overs front and back.
(see picture)

Thanks,
The WoodButcher
Did you use a plum line on that stack. :p

I built that rack for 25 bucks including the tarp......all scrap wood....I totally hacked it together and I've been using it for 5 years now.

tradergordo said:
Ended up buying the carport from costco this year (I had asked about it earlier in the year). So far this has worked out extremely well. Only took about 1/2 hour to put up.

Hopefully, you have it tied down. I had one of those, and figured I would tie it down the day after I set it up.

When I came out the next morning, it was twisted 180 degrees from end to end, with the upside-down part perched atop SWMBO's van. It looked like a dinosaur skeleton at the museum.

I carefully (and quietly) disassembled it to the point I could remove it from the wife's ride without doing further damage. I disavowed any knowledge of the rest.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Approx 7.5 cords in the wood sheds since it was split, this covers it on top, but not on the walls, I have tarps that I can roll down to cover those, but I don't cover the walls until it seems likely to snow. I have about 1.5 cords of "chunks" boxed but not covered, and about another cord or cord and a half of splits stacked, but not covered, and a largish pile of splits that are over-length - I need to cut them to size (increasing the chunk supply as well) and stack, but they should all be 08/09 wood. Eventually all will be top covered before the snow falls.

Gooserider

Havent covered mine yet. Here has bee typical idaho weather the last week, In the morning rain/snow 30 degree weather, mid afternoon sunshine 60 degree weather and probably wind blowing. Gonna get covered next week though.

Unsplit wood on pallets- covered with tarps.
Split and seasoned wood is in the wood crib in my shop, in the basement, ready to go.
Wood Crib holds 3 cords- very fortunate to have the room.

We were just storing all of our wood under junky tarps - couple cords.
Never seemed to staying dry/away from effects of snow....

On Friday, my wife called me at work & said I should pick-up some
framing lumber to build a wood shed this weekend.
Well. at least I won't have to worry about junky tarps anymore....

Rob

Wood is relatively dry and getting covered tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.