Isle Royale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I was at the dealer looking at one of these over the weekend. Looks like a nice stove. I am not sure about top loading, might be one of those things that you have to use for a while and decide whether you like it or not.

But I was wondering how air is supplied to the secondary burn plate, which rotates for top loading?

So the dealertells me she recommends this stove over the Morso 3610 because it has a lifetime warranty. So I say if I warp the cast grate on the bottom, is this under warranty? She says yes. What if I burn out the stainless tubes, she says under warranty. What if I crack the cast iron, under warranty she says.

I just wonder if she will be that nice 3 years down the road?

Also anyone have any experience with this stove? Not to many revues on rate this stove. I kind of liked the Morso and the Isle is more money, wondering if it's worth it?

Thanks
Pro's

Most manufacturers are going to stand behind a product if there is no sign of neglect. I have the Morso and can only say it has been a great stove for us.

How much more money? Lifetime warrantee sounds pretty good. I was looking at the Isle Royal a few years ago. Nice looking stove and I think top loading would be the cats a$$. Both look like good heaters, which one do you like the looks of best?

Calling Carpneil to the lobby...

Both are great stoves. I don't think you will go wrong with either stove. The Morso is simple and elegant. OTOH, top loading is really nice, it can spoil you. I think the Quad is cleaner burning, has larger capacity and should burn a bit longer too.

I would have to guess you were in the store I work at. I would have to look closer at the unit to see what air you are talking about. The air tubes on the top just get superheated air from within the stove so they can move all around and it doesn't matter. The secondary air... hmm let me go look up a breakdown and I'll BRB. OK it looks like the startup air on this unit comes in the two holes in the back. Quoted from the install manual

START-UP AIR SYSTEM
The combustion air enters at the rear of the firebox through
the rear air tubes. This air supply is controlled by the Startup
Air Control. For more air push control in, for less air pull
control out.
PRIMARY AIR SYSTEM
The primary air enters below the ash catcher and is directed
to the upper front of the firebox, near the top of the glass
door and to the lower front of firebox. This preheated
air supplies the necessary fresh oxygen to mix with the
unburned gases, helping to create secondary, tertiary and
quaternary combustions. This air is regulated by the Primary
Air Slide Control. For more primary air slide control left, for
less air, slide control to the right.

I swear everytime I look at these things to try and figure out where all the air comes and goes I just get more confused. If you are really that interested in it I could email a R&D engineer at Quad and ask him to explain all the air channels, etc, about the Isle Royal.

I want to know everything you can offer about that stove. As Todd says top smokless loading is the cat a**. For ones that never experienced top loading
you do not know what you are missing. I often wonder if I should have gone with the quad IR but money factored in and my price and condition I got has not been duplicated yet
I bought a used stove only used two seasons for $500. A stove that retails over $2,000. Best buy I made in years. and it keeps delivering.

BEgreen is also considering the IR stove.. I really would appreciate whatever info you can provide..

Smokey: I can tell you once you get spoiled by top loading. you will never want another stove without that option

Tell me what kinds of details you are interested in and I could prob dig it up. The only thing so far I got is that "Smokey" wants to know more about how the air system works in the stove.

Smokey, also regarding the warranty issues. If you search some of my other posts I have posted experiences with Quad's lifetime warranty, and they have all been very good. They are quick to step in and take care of the customer when something has failed that should not. If all the paint is blistering off the stove and its all warped to hell we might be a little weary, but if there are no signs of abuse any parts under warranty would be replaced promptly without too much question.

Hi JTP,

"I swear everytime I look at these things to try and figure out where all the air comes and goes I just get more confused. If you are really that interested in it I could email a R&D engineer at Quad and ask him to explain all the air channels, etc, about the Isle Royal.[/quote]"--JTP

If you are going to contact that R&D man could you also get me the air paths for my Quad 5700? Just installed it and still tinkering with it. Thanks, Ron

Thank you very much for your responses.

The air I was referring to was the rotating plate for secondary combustion, I thought air was introduced into the tubes to burn gases. But I guess they just heat up. I just wondered how the plate could rotate and still introduce fresh air. But is this as efficient as having air injected on top of the stove?

Just having read threw the Island Royal manual they have errored in the wording. They are not the only non cat stove with top loading and a fire box size of 3.0 cu ft.
The Non Cat Defiant is top loading and has a fire box of 3.4 cuft I also believe the Extra large non Cat Dutchwest also tips in at 3.0 or greater fire box size.

I have to look at the stove to see how the top loading fits in with the secondary burn tubs. This model also has a shoter leg kit that reduces it rear outlet height by 2" or more
plus a really nice looking stove with open fire screen option.

elkimmeg said:
Just having read threw the Island Royal manual they have errored in the wording. They are not the only non cat stove with top loading and a fire box size of 3.0 cu ft.
The Non Cat Defiant is top loading and has a fire box of 3.4 cuft I also believe the Extra large non Cat Dutchwest also tips in at 3.0 or greater fire box size.

I have to look at the stove to see how the top loading fits in with the secondary burn tubs. This model also has a shoter leg kit that reduces it rear outlet height by 2" or more
plus a really nice looking stove with open fire screen option.

As you may or may not remember I was within a hairs bredth of going for the Isle Royal when I setteled on the Mansfield.

It came down to me liking the Hearthstone dealer more in the end.
Both are beautifull stoves but I would have liked the idea of an open screened fire in the spring and fall.
There is a lever on the side of the Isle Royal that moves the secondary burn tubes out of the way and unlocks the top loading door.
The Quad dealertold me the Isle royal had a lifetime warentee on everything... even the glass... which did not extend to burning non recomended fuels BTW.

P.S. Howdy all.

Yes it has a bypass door lever on the side. I don't think the top load door locks shut though. Its always openable. If you are dumb enough to drop a log on top of the blaffle board thats your own problem.

*I forgot to email that guy today so I think I well have him call me tommarow if hes not too busy.

Nah, the top door doesn't lock, even when the baffle is pivoted down into the operation position.

Like you said, if you open the lid and throw a log on top of the baffle than maybe you should consider selling the stove and sticking with the gas thermostat. haha

HI Smokey,

I have an Isle Royale and it indeed is very good. The secondary air comes through the tubes from the outside. I believe it comes through the pivet points.

Top loading is really nice and convenient. Efficiency is good as as well as long overnight burns. Large fire box so plenty of capacity.

I like it a lot. It did a great job this winter heating the whole house.

carpniels

I had made my mind up to purchase the IR, but I went to another dealerto check prices. He tells me he got two back this month and they were cracked and they replaced them. He yells out to another guy and says how many IR did we replace this year, the other guy says 12 this year.

He says the factory does replace them but it takes 6 months, so he then says maybe you should look at something else. It really floored me. Because I thought this guy is a dealer, he sells them, and he seemed real honest about his experience. So after I thought about it for a while I wondered if this was user error. Maybe over-firing etc.

Now I am not so certain, what's your take on this. I guess I am getting to the point where I know I want the best stove I can find, I just don't want any problems, gosh this is almost a 500 pound stove. The thought of taking it out for a crack would tick me off.

Did he decribe where and how they are cracked? Were they shipping or user related?

Last I heard from MSG was that he rarely has a call back on the Isle Royale. MSG & JTP can you confirm?

Smokey said:
I had made my mind up to purchase the IR, but I went to another dealerto check prices. He tells me he got two back this month and they were cracked and they replaced them. He yells out to another guy and says how many IR did we replace this year, the other guy says 12 this year.

He says the factory does replace them but it takes 6 months, so he then says maybe you should look at something else. It really floored me. Because I thought this guy is a dealer, he sells them, and he seemed real honest about his experience. So after I thought about it for a while I wondered if this was user error. Maybe over-firing etc.

Now I am not so certain, what's your take on this. I guess I am getting to the point where I know I want the best stove I can find, I just don't want any problems, gosh this is almost a 500 pound stove. The thought of taking it out for a crack would tick me off.

Who was the dealer who replaced 12 Isle Royales this year? Someone in WI?

I have not replaced any Isle Royals in the two years I have been in the industry.

Now that I know the process for replacing a unit I can have a new one installed within 2 weeks if its an emergency. I don't know how it takes them 6 months. If I am certian we will get credit I can order a new unit and install it while they approve the removal form. Can usually get a new unit within 3 days and installed within 2 weeks.

The dealer is in Milwaukee, I thought 6 month's was way to long. But I asked him were they overfired and he said he didn't know. He also said he had to go through alot to get a new one also and then asked me if I would want to get caught up in that kind of mess?

Because he sells them it made it very believable and he recommended another cast stove brand. I did not question him more about what kind of cracks or where, but if anyone wants the phone number to contact this store PM me and I'll gladly provide it.

Kind of upset me because I had my mind made up, and believe me for some crazy reason I've had trouble making up my mind. Guess there are just to many nice stoves to just select one, maybe I should buy two, then again maybe my wife will leave me. Better get just one.

Have you looked at the VC defiant I mean the tried and true Cat model

Smokey, give the other local dealers a call. Let's see what they have to say. Is it one of these stores?

AMERICAN HERITAGE FIREPLACE
4475 SO 13TH ST
MILWAUKEE, WI 53221
414-281-4203
http://www.fireplaceproducts.com

FIRESIDE HEARTH & HOME - WAUKESHA
1725A DOLPHIN DRIVE
WAUKESHA, WI 53186
262-548-1286
http://www.fireside.com

COUNTRY STOVE & FIREPLACE
W. 232 N. 6008 WAUKESHA AVE
SUSSEX, WI 53089
262-246-1900

Yes it is one of these stores, but it's not to often you get the honesty of a dealerto admit there could be a problem with a product they sell. So if you ask other dealers, can you be sure they are being completely honest with you? Also a salesman may not know how many a certain store has had returned. How many has the dealer sold to have good feedback from the customers?

It's similar to VC they sell a ton of stoves, but a store that doesn't sell many of a certain type stove may not know himself of the problems that could arise. One other dealer is willing to sell me and deliver one, but never mentioned a problem. Maybe he hasn't had a problem, maybe the info I got wasn't as accurate. I guess I am back to confused.

My gut feel is the stove looks very well made.

I have the Isle Royal and have used it for 6 seasons, burning as close to 24/7 that my schedule will allow. This stove is as rock solid as any I have ever seen or used. The top loading features works as advertised, no smoke, easy access. I do run a steam pot on top and find myself using the front load more frequently because of that. In six years and approx 30 to 32 full cords of wood, I am still in love with this stove. Large firebox, efficient burns, long burns and will kick out some pretty amazing amount of BTU's when required. I have had zero problems with this stove. I have it professional inspected once a year (with my chimney sweep) and he keeps telling me to "continue to do what I am doing".

In short, I would have no problems endorsing this stove to anyone (that understands the ins and outs of wood burning). As a matter of fact, I would recommend this stove based on my own experience with it.

It also has a good airwash system for the glass, that assuming proper burns, will stay quite clear for a long time (in excess of a week).

Just for the record, I have no affiliation with ANY stove mfg. and am not a part of the industry other than a very happy end user of a great piece of equipment.

BeGreen I took your advice and called two more dealers, I talked to one and he said he has not had any problems with IR and added it was a very well made stove. Waiting for a callback from the other dealer.

Just wondering if the first dealer got a bunch of units damaged in shipping?

Hi Smokey,

I completely agree with jags. I have the same experience but only for 1 instead of 6 years. I also burn about 5 full cords a year.

I will try to guess what the problem is with the 12 IRs that were returned. I noticed that this stove because of its size, takes a lot longer to heat up that e.g. a Jotul castine or a VC Intrepid II. About twice as long (1-1.5 hours). This is not issue if you burn 24/7, but for the occasional user, it might be. They will get impatient (I want heat NOW!!!) and open the ash door at the bottom. This acts like a blast furnace and you will have flames in seconds. BUT it also overheats the stove if you leave the door open for more than a few minutes. That will crack all kinds of stove parts.

I have been impatient too but I know that overfiring can happen if the ash door is opened so I never do that. Other, less informed stove users might decide otherwise and crack their stove.

Just guessing from my own experience.

Carpniels

Status
Not open for further replies.