January 27th, 2012

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
A few of today's pics from the firewood factory:
IMG_0255%20%281024x768%29-702417.jpg

IMG_0265%20%28768x1024%29-703029.jpg

IMG_0266%20%281024x768%29-703473.jpg

It was warmer in the woods than I like it, 44° and sunshine, but oh well, it's still cooler than when I cut in the summer! Just not used to it this time of year.

Beautiful as always........man that makes me wish I could get out there. Just too wet where I'm cutting at right now. I did take a ride to see if I could get in somewhere else. Maybe just maybe tomorrow. Fingers crossed

LOVE! the 260. I have a few saws and my 026 has got to be my favorite. Runs a 20" bar and handles 99% of what I get and doesn't work you to death. Other than a 028 I had at work it has been my saw of choice for a long time.

Great pics
Looks like you're packing the trail down real good with the loaded train :)

last pic looks like some harvesting 5, 10 and 45 approx years ago.

Locust Post said:
Beautiful as always........man that makes me wish I could get out there. Just too wet where I'm cutting at right now. I did take a ride to see if I could get in somewhere else. Maybe just maybe tomorrow. Fingers crossed
Thanks! We are getting a little freezing drizzle now. It's been a weird winter.

rwhite said:
LOVE! the 260. I have a few saws and my 026 has got to be my favorite. Runs a 20" bar and handles 99% of what I get and doesn't work you to death. Other than a 028 I had at work it has been my saw of choice for a long time.
I have two 026, a really old Sachs Dolmar, and the 260. My favorite is the oldest 026, but right now it needs a carb kit and some other work. The Sachs needs work too. The 260 is my main saw at the moment and the other 026 is my spare.

bogydave said:
Great pics
Looks like you're packing the trail down real good with the loaded train :)
The trail was getting slushy today! Not much packing to do anyway, less than 4 inches of snow in the woods.

billb3 said:
last pic looks like some harvesting 5, 10 and 45 approx years ago.
That's pretty close! I think they are all going to have to come out soon though. They are getting a disease, can't remember the name of it now. The last time they harvested it they took all of the red pine out of the middle (where the empty spot is) to try to stop it, but it is spreading anyway. So, all of those red pine will have to be harvested before they are all dead.

Nice pics.

Nice tools also.

Real nice Quads. Your sled looks like it rocks on an axle on the skis - probably not, but thought I'd ask. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Real nice Quads. Your sled looks like it rocks on an axle on the skis - probably not, but thought I'd ask. Cheers!
You are correct, the running gear of the sled is made from steel tubing. The ski saddles are slipped over the ends of that tubing (so that if I lift the sled off the ground the skis can pivot up and down). The saddles are bolted to leaf springs, then the springs are pinned to the skis. It's just like an older snowmobile setup.

Nice quads. I too was going to ask about the sled and wondering if you could fasten the front so it didn't tip. However, you strap the load on anyways so it is probably not worth doing any more to it. You have more snow than we do. Yesterday morning we woke up to some ground cover as it had all melted before that. This morning it is snowing again but if we get an inch that will probably be about it. We have made some nasty ruts in the lanes this winter but being on sand I can level them off pretty easy when it dries.

You probably saw the thread I made when we cut off a lot of our pines. We started losing some scotch a few years ago and this past year lost several so figured it was time to cut them. Looks like rust gall is what was killing them. The white pine were getting a white mold but they were planted way too close together anyway. We had thought about thinning them only but decided they'd probably get all torn up getting them out so just clear cut it. We are hoping to put in a few more pines and some fruit trees too. Maybe some blueberries too. Have to make up our minds soon on that but will probably get them from the county. They send out fliers for the farmers and large land owners every year listing what will be for sale. We order and pay then pick them up at the fairgrounds in April.

Backwoods Savage said:
Nice quads. I too was going to ask about the sled and wondering if you could fasten the front so it didn't tip. However, you strap the load on anyways so it is probably not worth doing any more to it. You have more snow than we do. Yesterday morning we woke up to some ground cover as it had all melted before that. This morning it is snowing again but if we get an inch that will probably be about it. We have made some nasty ruts in the lanes this winter but being on sand I can level them off pretty easy when it dries.

You probably saw the thread I made when we cut off a lot of our pines. We started losing some scotch a few years ago and this past year lost several so figured it was time to cut them. Looks like rust gall is what was killing them. The white pine were getting a white mold but they were planted way too close together anyway. We had thought about thinning them only but decided they'd probably get all torn up getting them out so just clear cut it. We are hoping to put in a few more pines and some fruit trees too. Maybe some blueberries too. Have to make up our minds soon on that but will probably get them from the county. They send out fliers for the farmers and large land owners every year listing what will be for sale. We order and pay then pick them up at the fairgrounds in April.
In the plastic sled, I normally never haul enough to go over the sides, otherwise it just falls out anyway. This is the first time I strapped any in the plastic sled, kind of an experiment, it was one of those 'last load of the day, no split left behind' type loads! HA! It worked pretty good. The big sled I don't strap the splits in as long as they are packed tightly in the framework. The extras hanging outside of the milkcrate on the top I just fastened there with a bungee.

I leave some ruts too, but usually once all the frost have left the ground, and it's been rained on a few times, they level themselves off.

The red pine are getting something different than mold or gall. They just all of a sudden turn brown and die. The forester said to put borax on the stumps of the ones that were cut and sometimes that will help control the disease. Can't remember what it is though.

Good luck with the blueberries! We found that they are quite finicky and kind of hard to grow over here. If you have ever heard of the Friendship Blueberries, they were cultivated from the type of wild ones that grow right out where I took these pictures!

Thanks quads. I'll check out that variety. Blueberries seem to thrive on the yellow sand and we have lots of that. I don't like the danged things but the wife does and they command a pretty good price when sold too.

Nice quads. Nice pics, and awesome set up. What is that pail hanging on the back of the quad for?

Backwoods said:
Nice quads. Nice pics, and awesome set up. What is that pail hanging on the back of the quad for?
Thanks! That's an old paint can that I keep my straps in, wrench, etc. Nothin' but the best around here. HAHA!

quads said:
A few of today's pics from the firewood factory:
IMG_0255 (1024x768)-702417.jpg

IMG_0265 (768x1024)-703029.jpg

IMG_0266 (1024x768)-703473.jpg

It was warmer in the woods than I like it, 44° and sunshine, but oh well, it's still cooler than when I cut in the summer! Just not used to it this time of year.
totally agree on the weather. i was out working today and it was bout the same temp. I was in a t shirt. Thats just not right for january. im praying and hoping for a cold february at least.

Nice job,nice equipment,what type of pines are those my neighbor has a chitload and wants to cut a few down to thin em out. Is the wood any good thanks.

ecocavalier02 said:
totally agree on the weather. i was out working today and it was bout the same temp. I was in a t shirt. Thats just not right for january. im praying and hoping for a cold february at least.
I wouldn't bet on a cold February this year. One year I even tilled my garden in February. I have a feeling this is going to be similar.

ohlongarm said:
Nice job,nice equipment,what type of pines are those my neighbor has a chitload and wants to cut a few down to thin em out. Is the wood any good thanks.
Thanks! Those are red pine. (some people call them norway pine) I never burn them because I have so much dead oak, but some people do. I have a couple customers in one of the county parks that ask me specifically for red pine for their firepits. If you cut, split, and stack long enough to let it season/dry, it should be just fine for the stove. It won't hold a fire as long as oak, but it will heat your house just the same.

quads said:
ecocavalier02 said:
I wouldn't bet on a cold February this year. One year I even tilled my garden in February. I have a feeling this is going to be similar.
well I can only hope. =) well I guess on the plus side they've been able to put lots of foundations in at work so work is busy

Status
Not open for further replies.