Jonsered 2255 vs Dolmar ps510

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad99_2002

Mar 6, 2015
welch Oklahoma
Hello I'm looking for a little advice and some opinions on my next saw purchase. I'm currently looking at a Jonsered 2255 and a Dolmar ps510, both these saws are in excellent condition only being used a handful of times, I can pick them up for $200 each. As far as use, I will probably only used the saw 10 times a year to clean up fallen trees or trim a few back. Is either saw worth the money, are there any weak spots or common issues with either saw. Thanks for any help and suggestions on either

I bought my Dolmar 5105 not that long ago, but I can tell you this is the only brand I'll be buying from now on. The spring assisted start is amazing and makes it effortless to start. The anti-vibration is really good and I can cut much longer without my hands hurting. It feels like it is built so much better compared to other saws I've used. It cuts very fast, much faster than my 450 Husqvarna.

I bought my Dolmar 5105 not that long ago, but I can tell you this is the only brand I'll be buying from now on. The spring assisted start is amazing and makes it effortless to start. The anti-vibration is really good and I can cut much longer without my hands hurting. It feels like it is built so much better compared to other saws I've used. It cuts very fast, much faster than my 450 Husqvarna.

Thanks!

Between these two, I'd go for the Dolmar. Husqvarna and Jonsered make some excellent saws too, but the 2255 being considered by the OP is not one, and neither is the 450 that Chad mentioned. That said, the PS510 isn't of the same caliber as Chad's 5105.

Between these two, I'd go for the Dolmar. Husqvarna and Jonsered make some excellent saws too, but the 2255 being considered by the OP is not one, and neither is the 450 that Chad mentioned. That said, the PS510 isn't of the same caliber as Chad's 5105.

I really don't know much about the Dolmar brand, do you think $200 for this saw is a decent deal, or is he too high? 00k0k_7QSjInKoKVt_600x450.jpeg00Y0Y_dXjGQja5jYF_600x450.jpeg

It looks like a clean saw. I did a quick search and it looks like they are around $400 new. I'd buy it.

I have three Jonsereds, all 2100 series pro models. Night and day between the 2200 series homeowner's and the pro models. The 2152 Jonsered is my "go to" tool. Great power to weight ratio; perfect size for an old guy. Gets the job done in good order, whether limbing or bucking 24"-30" logs. There are times I miss having the raw power and cutting speed of a 6 cu in (100 cc) saw, but, by the same token there are times I miss being able to throw a 100 pound feed bag on my shoulder and wade through 2' of snow with it. Some things one has to live with as one approaches seven decades of bodily abuse.

FWIW, either one would probably serve the purpose for the OP.

Is the Dolmar a Jonsered knock-off? The 5105 sure has a familiar look about it :)

I have three Jonsereds, all 2100 series pro models. Night and day between the 2200 series homeowner's and the pro models. The 2152 Jonsered is my "go to" tool. Great power to weight ratio; perfect size for an old guy. Gets the job done in good order, whether limbing or bucking 24"-30" logs. There are times I miss having the raw power and cutting speed of a 6 cu in (100 cc) saw, but, by the same token there are times I miss being able to throw a 100 pound feed bag on my shoulder and wade through 2' of snow with it. Some things one has to live with as one approaches seven decades of bodily abuse.

FWIW, either one would probably serve the purpose for the OP.

Is the Dolmar a Jonsered knock-off? The 5105 sure has a familiar look about it :)

Thanks, as far as being a knockoff, I have no idea?

Jonsered and Husqvarna have the same parent company. The Jonsered 2255 is the same saw as a Husqvarna 455 "under the hood."

Makita owns Dolmar. You'll see that much (but not all) of the Dolmar chainsaw lineup is available in Makita blue.

Jonsered and Husqvarna have the same parent company. The Jonsered 2255 is the same saw as a Husqvarna 455 "under the hood."

Makita owns Dolmar. You'll see that much (but not all) of the Dolmar chainsaw lineup is available in Makita blue.

That explains why my 2152 Jonsered will eat my neighbor's 455's lunch....

Makita generally makes decent stuff....

While either one looks like a decent buy, the Jonsered would have a compression release, don't know about the Dolmar; it makes for easy pull starting....
Dolmar doesn't have compression release, but it has a spring assist which makes for almost effortless starting.The Dolmar 510 is a professional grade mid range saw. Dolmar isn't a Jonsered knockoff. Dolmar has been making saws since 1927 and Jonsered didn't start until 1954

I appreciate everyone's opinions and advice, I did end up buying the dolmar, I bet the saw doesn't have 5hrs run time, he let me try it out on a few logs frist before I made the purchase, he admitted the 20" bar is a little much, so he gave me another 16" bar and chain, plus a case for the saw, I think I got a pretty decent deal for $175, thanks again

Yeah, with an extra bar and chain, plus a case, you did very well. Congrats.

That's worth every penny of $200. I bought my Dolmar PS-421 new and no regrets. Dolmar is a well-respected German brand and they don't really make "homeowner-grade" saws like the other major manufacturers. As you have already read, Makita = Dolmar in a blue case, there's a reason that many rental yards, including Home Depot, rent out Makita chainsaws. They are pretty bulletproof.

Reactions: Wisneaky
Status
Not open for further replies.