Jotul 450 insert - creative solution needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ledwards

Hearth Supporter
Aug 19, 2009
WNC
I am 1/2 inch away from buying a Yotul 450 insert. The insert requires 27.5" front opening and I have 27". Does anyone have a creative solution? Can I chip 1/4" off either side of the opening?

http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood inserts (USA)/Jøtul C 450 Kennebec/Manual_C_450_011005.pdf

You might already have this....looks like the unit is only 25 1/2' wide, so the 27 1/2 requirement may be to attached the front plat to the unit? I am sure someone will chime in and get you the info you need. Good Luck

I have this insert and installed it myself, the insert itself is 25 1/2 inches wide. The firebox "sleeve" is 29 inches at the outside of the flange on both sides. The flange is what the surround attaches to on both sides. There are small flat pieces "hang tabs"that bolt to the back of the surround and drop down into square holes in the flanges to hold it in place. You can adjust this sleeve backward and forward on the stove by loosening 4 bolts 2 on each side. I would think that you could adjust the sleeve forward enough to get the surround on without interference with the masonry. If there was a problem you could remove just enough at the four points of attachment. The only drawing in the manual that I have that shows the flanges are on page 15 showing the ash lip extension attachment. Feel free to p.m me if I can help further, Jim

I'm interested to know what the potential problems would be if the clearance was ignored.
Is it that the insert will not physically fit in anything less than 27.5 inches, or is it that the insert is required to have that amount of space around its edges?
I apologize if this question seems obvious to some others out there, just trying to get a handle on the issue.

flang that hold the surround panel on is larger than the req measurement to fit the firebox... worst case in your case, the surround would stick a 1/4" or so off the front of the fireplace (whatever the thickness of the attatchment tab and screw heasd against your masonry)

Status
Not open for further replies.