Jotul 550 and chimney height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Decided to go with a Jotul 550 insert. Dealer faxed me the manual yesterday which I read last night. Noted that chimney min. for the unit is 15'. Called my sweep/installer this morning to set up an appt. to measure everything but have to wait until the weekend for him to inspect our fireplace due to weather and scheduling.

He thinks our chimney isn't 15' based on how far he extends his brush when cleaning. He's guessing that it is about 13-14' but we won't know until he physically measures it so in the mean time I am researching here now that I have found this site.

He does not recommend extending the liner up outside the chimney as it is creosote waiting to happen. I don't like the idea of that either.

How important are these numbers? I know it has to do with how it draws and I certainly do not want to mess with that because it will be counterproductive.

I am also at 5,000ft. so out air is thinner already.

Now that I have decided on the Jotul I will be very disappointed if I miss out due too short of a chimney...Hate the idea of starting this process all over again.

see other thread where you posted same question. don't worry, there are solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.