Jotul 600 wont go above 200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john193

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2010
Southeast PA
Hello folks,

Sorry if this is a blatant re-post, While I found some topics on the Jotul 600, nothing specifically related to my issue.

We purchased a Jotul 600 Firelight a few months ago and with the weather getting colder we have been using it for the past 2 months; however, we cannot get the temp to stay above 200F (measured 3 feet above the stove on the flue) without opening the side door. This seems to be the only way to get the stove to hit 300 or 400, but, as soon as the door is shut, it gradually goes back to 200 (the intake on the stove is open all the way).

The flue (6 inch) connects to an existing chimney which performed just fine with our old wood stove.

The Jotul has been "seasoned" according to the instructions.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Our Mt Vernon pellet insert puts out more heat than the Jotul.

I assume your Jotul is a wood stove? If so, you posted in the wrong forum. Maybe you will get some response's in the wood stove forum. I will hazard a guess. Since you can get the temp up with the door open it would suggest a draft problem. Even though your old stove worked ok it probably didn't require the same draft? See if you can borrow a manometer from who ever you bought the stove from and check draft levels and compare to manuf. specs. Also, is there any way to check the primary air damper to make sure it is opening and closing properly? Make sure the mechanical linkage is working between the lever and the damper...Good Luck!

It certainly could be a draft problem. I would also check that your wood is dry, if half your BTU's are going to drying the wood..... You could buy a bundle of really dry wood at your local store & try this, Randy

Please give a little more data.

Fuel - how long has the wood been SPLIT and stacked

Flue - 6" going to an existing ??? How big is the tile?

How tall is the flue?

Internal or external flue?

Pipe from stove to flue -single or double wall? (important to know if we are reading internal or surface temps as well)

Sounds like the wood is not seasoned, but this could be exacerbated by weak draft. If you put the thermometer on the stove top at the location recommended by Jotul (in the manual), what is the temperature reading?

john193 said:
Hello folks,
(measured 3 feet above the stove on the flue) ... The flue (6 inch) connects to an existing chimney which performed just fine with our old wood stove.

If the 6" flue is double wall, measuring it's temp will not be much help and confusing us as well. How about measuring the stovetop temp and reporting back.

What was your old stove?

1) put the themo on the stove top Front Left or Right
2) Try supermaket wood

If that works...you know you're issue if not...

3) try cracking a window near the stove. It may be starved for air if your house is really tight.

you should be able to get that thing up to 500-650 within the first hour.

Also, check the flue cap screen to be sure it isn't plugging up.

Status
Not open for further replies.