JOTUL 603C Red

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trouthead

Oct 29, 2010
Wyoming
Selling my Jotul circa 1980 red enamel with red enamel pipe. Good side and top burn plates, but a small crack in the back that has been filled with stove cement.

Wondering what the value is with the crack and if it makes sense to buy a back plate and rebuild it before selling it. Either way it is a 35 year old stove. So rebuild it and sell it or sell as is. What is a good fair price? Seems prices are all over the place. Thanks.

Is that a typo for the 602C? Ours got a hairline crack in it after a house sitter overfired the stove. This was after I had just rebuilt the stove with a new back the spring before. ;hm I had a custom burn panel cut out of 3/16" steel and bolted it to the rear interior. No movement on the crack since then and the rear of the stove stays quite a bit cooler now.

With the crack the stove is probably worth about $200-250, fixed about $400. If the stove has the top enameled trivet it will be worth more. These are easy stoves to rebuild if you choose to.

Yup that was a typo. It is a 602. Guess it makes little sense for me to rebuild it as the cost of parts will only be recouped if I get a good price for it. Not worth the risk. I think it will sell better as a low priced user. In this part of the country all old stoves seem to be worth about the same $200-$300 and that is about it. It finally snowed and got cold so now is the time to sell it.

Sounds about right. If the enamel is in good condition and it has the top trivet ask $350 and be willing to come down to $300 to the right buyer.

I fabricated some custom .25" steel burn plates for my All Nighter 118 replica. I didn't have proper tools, but I think these will work. I extended their length as well.
20170130_162202.jpg ly:

Last edited by a moderator: