Jotul and fire brick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beagler

Sep 9, 2007
Just had a F3CB installed yesterday. I"m used to running a Buck 21, and I noticed that the Jotul did not have fire bricks. Any reasons why?

Correction: it appears to use a ceramic blanket insulation behind what they call a "burn plate" And it has a cast iron grate underneath above the ash pan ?

I did not notice that... I need to take a look. The Buck has visible brick lining all sides of the fire box. I guess I was expecting that.

beagler said:
I did not notice that... I need to take a look. The Buck has visible brick lining all sides of the fire box. I guess I was expecting that.

The side burn plates and insulation do the same job that the bricks did with the Buck. That is, gives you replaceable items that protect the outside of the stove from over-fire stresses and hold in heat in the firebox for combustion efficiency.

Reactions: breinen
The 3CB does have fire brick, you just cant see them. They are hidden in the rear of the stove behind the burn plate. The rear is the only place you will find them and they are only there for reduced clearances. Jotul is a radiant stove and we all know the main job of fire brick is to reflect heat. So they use cast iron burn plates in place to protect the outside finished cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.