Jotul Castine Secondary ?'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Last night and this morning my secondaries were kickin', but I did nothing different. I used the same wood, same process, and it took the same amount of time to get the secondaries to start going. The only thing different this time around was they took off, all three of them. Usually only the back two go. Last night I had to close it all the way, ( which isn't the norm, usually leave open 1/4) and the stove was still climbing to around 700, after a short while it stayed at around 650 for awhile.

The same thing happened this morning. I had to delay leaving for work due to the temps climbing so high? Is this stove finicky like this? Thx

For some reason, If I shut my Oslo down all the way (in intervals, even if its past 600 degrees) my stove cools down quickly. I usually close it a little more than 1/4, but not all the way and this keep things good and hot. When I close the Castine down all the way, she keeps ripping and heat output continues to increase for a while.

It will also depend on the outside temps and the wood being burnt. When we are burning softwood (doug fir), once the fire is fully engaged I can often close the air all the way. If I am burning locust or madrona, that is not possible. It would snuff out the fire.

You know, for me, 700* and holding is a nice fire. I don't think it stretches the Castine's capabilities too much. As for why it did...could be a number of things, and you probably know the list already. What typically does it for me is a "wall" of splits right up in front of the glass. This seems to set up a convection loop up to the secondaries that lets The Beast come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.