Jotul Enamel Finish

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Four Paws

Oct 24, 2006
Inkom, Idaho
Frustrated with our rather small dealer base in this area, and their limited to non-existent stock, the wife and I have been rather discouraged in our wood stove shopping. The best local dealer carries Lopi and PE - no access to Hearthstone or Jotul. We are after a cast or soapstone stove - not interested in the steel look as we are replacing an older Blaze King 'King' model with a catalyst.

We liked the look of the Lopi Leyden, seems to have a good fit and finish. BUT, it's new, and I am a skeptic of things that aren't tried and true. It also doesn't offer open fire viewing with a screen.

We love the look of the Hearthstone stoves, but no dealer within 200+ miles stocks them...WTF? As much as I like the way something looks, I am not going to spend $2500 of hard earned cash on something I have seen and like in a picture. I also heard they have a terrible time shipping their stoves without damaging the enameled finish. I was told by a great dealer across the border in Wyoming, 'if you want a Hearthstone, get it painted'. If one of you Mansfield advocates wants to sway us, please post some detailed pictures of your stove, the firebox, the ash pan system, etc.

Of everything we have seen, and like in a stove, the Jotul 600 Firelight hits the mark. However, we haven't been able to see a blue-black enamel stove in person. If you guys want to show off your stoves, now is the time! Please post some BIG pictures of your blue-black enameled Jotuls, with a brief review of the durability and beauty of their finish. Just want to make sure the enameled finish is really what we want before we buy.

Thanks! Josh

I dont have problems with Hearthstone finishes when there shipped to me. But, like all enamel stoves, they chip easy. You will not get a flaw free stove no matter what you buy. Most come with touch up paint. (not hearthstone)
Hearthstone colors that are good are matte, brown, and seafoam. all three are georgeous.
Jotul's best color is blue black, unless you like ivory.
The firelight is a beast of a stove, and so is the mansfield. You cant go wrong either way, unless you cant find a dealer.

Hello 4paws,

You getting any snow??? We have the mansfield in blue black..one of first models purchased in 02..have no chips or cracks at all..the dealer is about 40 miles from the plant and i picked up at dealer..the seafoam looks awesome...hearthstone blueblack is more matte of finish.

Vintage 181 said:
Hello 4paws,

You getting any snow??? We have the mansfield in blue black..one of first models purchased in 02..have no chips or cracks at all..the dealer is about 40 miles from the plant and i picked up at dealer..the seafoam looks awesome...hearthstone blueblack is more matte of finish.

Hey there, not much snow by us anymore...the weather pattern has been quite strange. Snow in late August, then warmed up, then cold and snow in mid / late Novemeber, early december, then a 5 day warm spell that melted most of it off. Finally it is cold again, and there is plenty of snow in the mountains, but at the house (5000' ASL) the temperature just got warm enough to melt the snow - which is a bummer.

We really like the look of the Mansfield - it is our favorite looking stove - VERY IMPRESSIVE conversation piece. How is the ash pan and ash clean-out system? I like how the Jotul burns and falls through the grate - no tiny hole to shovel through. I also like the open fire viewing option.

You will find that "tiny hole" to be a blessing. It allows you to push embers to the side or back if you want to take out ashes while the stove is burning. With a grate like the Jotuls have hot crap falls through into the ashpan no matter what you do to try to prevent it.

I have stoves with both. Love that cleanout hole in the one that has it. It actually converted me back to using the ashpan for cleanout. On the one with a grate I just let the pan fill up and scoop the ashes out through the door.

You will find if you choose the mansfield, that it lights up much faster with a tamped and packed deep ash bed (2-3 inches). The ash pan isnt bad, but i wouldnt know, i havent used it yet.

Four Paws said:
Vintage 181 said:
Hello 4paws,

Hey there, not much snow by us anymore...the weather pattern has been quite strange. Snow in late August, then warmed up, then cold and snow in mid / late Novemeber, early december, then a 5 day warm spell that melted most of it off. Finally it is cold again, and there is plenty of snow in the mountains, but at the house (5000' ASL) the temperature just got warm enough to melt the snow - which is a bummer.

We really like the look of the Mansfield - it is our favorite looking stove - VERY IMPRESSIVE conversation piece. How is the ash pan and ash clean-out system? I like how the Jotul burns and falls through the grate - no tiny hole to shovel through. I also like the open fire viewing option.

Winter might show up later this week????? Heard on the news this morning in all of Quebec only 4 ski areas open in the whole Province...

We don't use the ash pan...we have a coal keeper and basically sweep coals to one side then pull out the ash then swap sides..we leave about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch of ash on the bottom to protect bottom...Agree with MSG,, we found also it burns better with ash on the bottom..

Are you doing the install?

Jotuls blue black enamel is a long lasting finish, and being both matte and neutral does not show small chips like most other colors and brands. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, the process they use also puts a relatively thinner coat of enamel on....which, in my opinion, is a good thing for stoves. Less crazing and potential cracking.

Blue black is a good choice for the benefits of enamel without the usual drawbacks.

As far as color, the blue black could be mistaken for black - it is a very dark blue and has a flat (matte) finish. It is not showy like many other enamels..

Webmaster said:
Jotuls blue black enamel is a long lasting finish, and being both matte and neutral does not show small chips like most other colors and brands. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, the process they use also puts a relatively thinner coat of enamel on....which, in my opinion, is a good thing for stoves. Less crazing and potential cracking.

Blue black is a good choice for the benefits of enamel without the usual drawbacks.

As far as color, the blue black could be mistaken for black - it is a very dark blue and has a flat (matte) finish. It is not showy like many other enamels..

Web,

I just bought the Jotul C450 insert and I agree about the low-gloss enamel....in fact, save yourself $200 (I did) by NOT getting the enamel because except in sunlight, I could NOT tell much of a difference between the two so I got the matte black. That $200 savings, coupled with the Jotul "up to 10% off" Fed 2007 sale (some dealers won't give it to you) allowed me to move up to the larger 450 instead of the smaller 350!

I have to agree with Craig. I think the Jotul blue-black is the nicest finish I've ever had on the stove. Takes about 2 minutes with a damp sponge to make the stove look like new. Wish all stove manufacturer's had this option.

some do, hearthstone has a flat enamel called blue black too. I like Jotuls better, but its avalible in other manufactures.

Status
Not open for further replies.