Jotul F3 CB - Firescreen?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shub

Nov 4, 2011
Southern Maine
I am interested in buying one. Not sure if the forum rules prohibit private sales, but if not I am curious if any has a used one in good condition that they'd like to sell.

Thanks

Most folks post in the Items for Sale / Wanted Forum

I made the mistake of getting one for our F3CB. Used twice, then collected dust.

I've used it once to try it out, I didn't like it. Too much heat up the pipe, it just felt like I was wasting wood. The second time I used it was when I accidentally let a start up get a little too high temp for me (650*). I used advice learned from here, opened the door, popped the screen in and let the stove cool down a bit. It collects dust other than that...

I have four screens collecting dust. They all came with the four VC stoves I have owned. I've never used any of them. Wife used the screen for the Intrepid once. Once.

Well, I wouldn't use it every night, because I don't want to waste wood either. But in theory it seems like to would be a nice occasional thing to use. Anybody want to sell their F3 CB screen that's collecting dust?

In theory is exactly correct. Almost every screen bought for these stoves is collecting dust after one or two tries to justify the purchase.

Never could figure out the appeal of the screens . . . I mean if you're looking for a better view of the fire clear glass usually is better than a metal mesh screen . . . there shouldn't be any smell if the draft is set up right regardless of screen or no screen . . . about the only thing I could see anyone getting with a screen is the ability to hear the crackling of the fire a bit better and to be honest I can hear enough the snap, crackle and popping with the door in place to make me plenty happy.

What is a Saab wood hauling trailer? A hollowed out, salvaged C900?

I should take a picture of it some time . . . which reminds me . . . I still need to take a picture of my metal box on the front of my ATV for Lukem.

My "Saab" trailer is a metal Agri Fab trailer (or similar model) that my cousin (a professional welder by trade) swapped out the tires and axle . . . I told him I needed a beefy trailer with a relatively high ground clearance and floatation to haul out bucked up wood with my ATV. The small tires from the trailer were replaced by tires from a Saab (I forget which model) . . . I was hoping to keep the center "Saab" cap, but due to the construction they wouldn't stay attached.

This trailer is much more crude than the other trailer he built for me out of stainless steel pipe . . . my truck trailer which I use to haul wood from the family land to home, haul my ATV, haul the sleds, etc. I get a lot of comments from that trailer. He also built our ATV club a really nice trailer with a walking beam suspension . . . I've thought about using that to haul out my wood, but somehow I don't think the Club would appreciate me banging it all up by hauling firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.