Jotul Oslo F-500 Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonprophet

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2009
Oregon
Many of you may remember the problems that we were having with our Oslo (https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/63944/, https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/54057/) mainly just an overall sluggish performance with the stove always feeling like it needed more air. We received TONS of helpful suggestions and advice on how to cure the problem, and that for that we are so thankful!

We tried just about everything, and in the end we sold the Oslo and replaced it with a Quadrafire Isle Royale which we absolutely love!!

After trying many things to get out Oslo working correctly, several people suggested that given the low usage on our stove, our chimney setup, and the vast majority of people who are very, very happy with their Oslo that perhaps we somehow got a "defective" stove that just wasn't working right. Frankly, I had begun to wonder the same thing but had a hard time getting my head around that as I had run a wire rod through all the air chambers so I knew that there were no blockages.

Well, I just got an email from the person who bought our Oslo, and he reports that the stove is working wonderfully for him! So, it would appear that the stove is not defective, but, as others surmised, the Oslo really needs a strong draft (especially here in the PNW with low barometric pressure and mild evening low temps) to work properly. While we had a 20' straight up shot of chimney/pipe and still had poor performance from our Oslo, the new owner has the stove installed in a ground level "great room" with 5' of single wall into a 90, then 28" of horizontal, another 90, and then straight up the gabled end of the house 31' to allow for all the correct clearances above the roof line, etc.

So, to me this confirms that at least for PNW conditions with lots of rain (and thus low barometric pressure) and average night time lows in the mid 30's to mid 40's, that an Oslo will probably only work well if you have 25+ feet of chimney.

NP

Thanks for the update. It was good to see what the final outcome was. I burn a Oslo in Michigan with a 11-12 foot flue. Straight up. It is sluggish until I get 300 degrees or so on the stove top, but has good draft after it warms up. No smoke in the house and clean glass.

Yes, I know of happy campers with a 16 ft flue on an Oslo. It works fine for them, especially once temps drop below 40F. This one is perplexing. I am wondering if NP lives in a natural low pressure zone due to prevailing winds over his area and geography? Regardless, I'm super happy that the IR is working well for them.

Thanks for update , my Oslo burns great with 13' could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

BeGreen said:
Yes, I know of happy campers with a 16 ft flue on an Oslo. It works fine for them, especially once temps drop below 40F. This one is perplexing. I am wondering if NP lives in a natural low pressure zone due to prevailing winds over his area and geography? Regardless, I'm super happy that the IR is working well for them.

Hi Begreen,

I wouldn't think we're in any particularly low pressure area other than the fact that we get lots of rain in the winter which means low pressure systems. Plus, we've used 5 other stoves in this area with pretty much the same set up and did not have near the problems we had with the Oslo.

Anyway, alls well that ends well--we're very happy with the IR and the person who bought our used Oslo seems happy with his purchase too!

NP

Sorry to hear the Oslo didn't work for you . . . but you do have a working stove now . . . and you know the Oslo seems to be working fine and wasn't defective . . . which is always nice to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.