Jotul Oslo installation thread (with photos)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working on this exhaust fan for the last few days to see how I needed to get it installed. I located the best spot for it to go to make the installation as easy as possible. It took a bit of cutting and exploring, but finally got a spot picked out and the hole opened up for the fan and switch:

fireplace059.jpg

fireplace060.jpg

Here is the fan that is to go into the hole. It is really made to go into new construction instead of a retrofit situation, so I am having to be a bit creative to get it set up. It seems every thing I buy, I have to completely take it apart to make it work as I need it to....

fireplace063.jpg

I did hook it up to an outlet to test it out, and it really moves a whole lot of air. It is also really silent. The only noise it makes is the air it is moving. Hopefully it will work well once it is all in place. I looked around a bit and could not find a box that would work for my application. I needed a box to hook to the 8 inch duct from the fan and then allow me to hook the grille on the outside of the house. So, I had to make one...

fireplace066.jpg

Its not pretty, but with some caulking to seal it up it should work fine. It needs to collect the air and deflect it down into the grille that will be installed on the bottom of the box, outside the bottom of the chase. I suppose professionals would bend over places to rivet together when making it, but I think welding is easier. I also collected the parts to finish making the outside air kit for the stove. I will run the PVC through the outside wall. The PVC will then be connected with a flex pipe into a section of steel exhaust pipe that I will use to penetrate the stone wall. I then plan to have a short flex pipe from the wall to the stove. The fresh air "kit" they sold was just a little adapter piece. The real "kit" is apparently left up to the installer to figure out. I think my plan will work out fine:
fireplace067.jpg

This weekend I brought in my expert inspector to review my progress.

;-)
fireplace064.jpg

fireplace065.jpg

My grandfather came to visit and look in on my project. He is 83 years old and can still out work most guys half his age. He was forming up and pouring some concrete culverts recently and just completed a fence on his property. He dug 35 holes by hand through the toughest hard pan material I have ever seen and set the posts in concrete by himself. I hope I am in half as good a shape as he is when I am his age. He helped me come up with some plans on how to best set up my wall to allow the installation of the built in cabinets and book cases I plan to have on either side of the stone wall I will build. I need to finish the fan and outside air kit and then insulate and seal up the outside wall. Then I need to get about the business of building the steel frame the stone will be mortared onto. Lots left still to do!!!!

:-/

I havent posted much lately so I suppose it is time for an update. I finished up the exhaust fan and tested it out with a cigar. It works great and turns over quite a bit of air. I also decided that while I was at it, I would pull some wires in the wall for speakers in that room that can run off of the stereo that will be upstairs. Lots easier to do it now, while everything is open and easily accessable. Here is the new outlet for the speakers and the completed fan.

fireplace097.jpg

fireplace098.jpg

I ran the piping for the fresh air kit through the floor and it exits under the cantilever portion of the chase, and have now sealed the whole void between the floors with spray foam in the tight areas and fiberglass insulation. There was nothing there before, so it should help a lot with the drafts.

fireplace089.jpg

Along with the floor, I have now heavily insulated the wall and the ceiling. There were only 2 batts of insulation on the whole wall, and what was in the ceiling above the old fireplace was pretty spotty. I caulked lots of cracks and got it all as air tight as I could.

fireplace088.jpg

I also made a hatch on the left side that will lift out for access in the future to allow for inspections from above. I will be cutting an access door from the upstairs room to allow entry into the attic space. This will allow access to climb up inside the chase to the top and access to inspect behind the wall I am going to build. I have already discovered that the flashing at the bottom of the chase is leaking with all the rain we had last week, so I want to be able to keep an eye on things from now on.

I am currently working on the steel frame that will support the stone work that is to be installed.

fireplace094.jpg

fireplace096.jpg

If all goes well, I will get it completed this week and can soon start applying the stone veneer.

As always I am impressed with how thorough and how much thought you have put into this project . . . I'm guessing you're the type of person that always takes his A-game into every project you undertake whether at home or at work.

P.S. Glad to see I'm not the only guy who occasionally swears off the steel-toed footwear for something quick, convenient and more comfortable . . . on occasion. ;)

Thanks for the compliment. I do try to do things that will last. Tonight I worked more on the frame. I got it pretty close to being done. One or two more nights and it will be ready for the mortar scratch coat.

fireplace100.jpg

I got held up a bit by a backordered piece of pipe. I was waiting a while for the piece that was supposed to go through the wall, but I finally got it and have completed the frame. I decided that even though I had the clearences to combustible surfaces required for the pipe, that I would go ahead and add a shield to protect the beam from any heat that may radiate out to it. I had an old heat shield from work to use behind the pipe and also put some aluminum flashing. I am sure it was not necessary, but it took only a couple of minutes to add it and it makes me feel better. I had to get my assistant to help me hold up the backer board while I secured it in place. I told her it would be a good place to lock her up if she is bad...
fireplace102.jpg

Started with the scratch coat...

fireplace103.jpg

and have it done...

fireplace104.jpg

I now have to get with it and sort out these rocks so I can get them ready to go on the wall.

Looking great, Joe.

Wowgreat job first class all the way

Should come out great. What type of stone are you using?

logger said:
Should come out great. What type of stone are you using?

It is a couple of different types of sandstone that is quaried from the mountains in TN near the NC border.

This weekend my grandfather decided to come down to help me get started laying this stone and to check up on my progress. He was pretty satisfied at how things were moving along, and gave me lots of pointers on how to lay this stone. Things are moving along and it all looks good so far. I will keep laying the stone this week, and will get the steel for the hearth this friday now that I know the dimensions it will be.

First stone!

fireplace105.jpg

Getting lesons....

fireplace107.jpg

Results of the first days stone work.

fireplace109.jpg

Second day....

fireplace110.jpg

It is slow going, but I think the completed wall will be worth the time it will take...

fireplace111.jpg

More long nights of work this week on the project and more updates as time allows!

It's wonderful that your family is so involved in this project Joe. Lots of learning, history, love and skill there. It's great how these skills are being handed down from one generation to the next. The stone choice is perfect. It's going to be a beauty for sure. Tell your grandpa I think he's awesome and an inspiration.

Beautiful stone work. I like the mix of colors, textures, and sizes of the sandstone. It's going to make for a fantastic back-drop for the Jotul. I always think it is cool when people use local materials in their projects. It gives you a story to tell later on when people ask and it connects the house to the area. Seems like your grandfather knows what he is doing. I notice the cold air intake. Nice little details like this will really help that stove perform.

I am sure enjoying your project. I was going to put stone behind mine, too but decided at the last minute to not so now I get to enjoy looking at yours!

Something right below the elbow. Might be Roseanne Roseannadanna. N/M, it's George Carlin.
Farther down, I see a dachshund head with the end of the snout missing.
Oh, and in post # 34, there's a poodle.
I need something else to do.

Where did you get the stone? Looks good.

Looking good!!! I like the use of all the pictures...

Scott

vtburner said:
does anyone else see the crazy lady face in the scratchwork in the 4th pic down in the last post? weeeeiiiird. ;)

Great work btw. just awesome.

HA! I am suprised that anyone noticed it in the photo... We were all sitting in the room Saturday evening looking at the work we accomplished that day enjoying a glass of wine. We were looking at the texture on the scratch coat and pointing out how it looks like different things, similar to how you would imagine different shapes in the clouds. My grandfather got up, went to find a pen and started highlighting some areas in it to point out the features that make up the womans face. The shadows on either side that make the hair are caused by the lights in the ceiling and the rest of it was natrually there and needed just a bit of help from him to bring it out. We got a good laugh out of it. I worked another 6 hours or so last night, and will get back on it again this evening. More pictures again soon.

Nice work! Can't wait to see it completed.

Sometimes I wish my house came with a prefab I could rip out and start from scratch or nothing at all. But instead we got a really nice brick setup... raised up a foot, about 12' wide at the base, and two stories up the greatroom. That sucker aint ever getting altered, except for the rockland and the new stainless liner we stuffed up it this year. Maybe someday when I build that log cabin somewhere I'll get to build a beautiful stone hearth from scratch...

Progress from last night....

fireplace112.jpg

And tonight..

fireplace113.jpg

I worked pretty late on it last night and struggled with some stones that were being difficult this evening, so I went ahead and stopped early. This is my first stone masonry project, and it is a really slow process. I will get back on it again tomorrow night, hopefully with a bit more stone on the wall to show for it.

Oh no . . . it's looking good . . . but you've got to stop working immediately . . . that isn't a picture of a crazy lady . . . it's Madonna . . . and should be worth some money if you can sell it on e-bay. ;) :)

Is that Slash from Guns n Roses or Jimi Hendrix? No wait...It's Troy Polamalu!

Sen. John Blutarsky said:

Holy crap, you're right!

First class project all the way. It's good to see people start something like this and do it right, even if it takes more time. There is no value to be placed on peace of mind and satisfaction. You just can't buy those from others 99% of the time.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:

Troy Polamalu to be sure . . . I think we have a winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.