Jotul Oslo or Morso 3610

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 3610 also, the ash pans are very easy and very clean to use. Not so with other stoves I have had. The fire box is very large and can hold a lot of wood. The heat output is tremendous, the secondary burn is exquisite. The side loading is very useful. Starting a fire and leaving the front doors cracked open, brings air under the fire and makes fires easy to start. A very well thought out design and I am extremely happy with my purchase.

I have seen the Nordic, Castine and Oslo working,
I m biased towards Jotuls and Moro s, but preferring Jotuls, however, I didnt really rate the Nordic or the Castine.
The Oslo is a brilliant stove with a good burn time and huge firebox.
As for the Morso 3610, it is comparable to the Oslo and / or the Jotul Firelight.
Its probably one of the best Morso s. Morso, like Jotul have their brilliant and their Ok stoves, I owned a Morso 3440, I thought that the long flow path for the air intake (designed to heat the air prior to entry into the burn box) was really fine in theory, but difficult in real life, it had the effect like someone trying to breathe air thru a straw.
This in turn had the affect of making the fire burn very aggressively or not at all, a very fine line between the 2, and ofcourse there was no overnight combustion. The appliance demanded a lot of attention, but dont let that taint the good name of Morso. I cant remember if the 3610 has a long flow path or not ? Check that out first, if it does, dont go near it, go for the Jotul
Both stoves have side loading which is a huge benefit, so a double door doesnt matter then (if you dont like double door ?)
Its a tough choice between a Morso 3610 or a Jotul Oslo ?!?! Maybe the wife will make the descion for you, either way, your looking at 2 excellant stoves, if it were me, I would be stuck between the 2.
Hope this is usefull,
regards,
Angus

PS
The Jotul 118 is the longest burning stove I ve ever seen, if thats important to you, why not look at it, 24/7 burning without fail
Tho ofcourse, it is a very differant style from what your looking at,
Angus

Angus, what type of chimney did you have your Morso hooked in to? You may have had too much draft.
I can get full range of burns with ours and I think the air moves through it the same way.

Thanks All for the replies.

I picked up the Oslo this morning, now I need to round up the neighbor to help unload it.

My wife preferred the design of the Oslo over the 3610, so that was the deciding factor.

I am looking foreward to being toasty this winter.

Also got a new metalbestos chimney to put in as well. I am hoping to avoid any issues with draft also.

Got a new chainsaw too!

I'm broke.

J.P.

[quote author="babalu87" date="1193755774"]Angus, what type of chimney did you have your Morso hooked in to? You may have had too much draft.
I can get full range of burns with ours and I think the air moves through it the same way.[/quote

Hello Pyro, I have a flexi steel liner down my chimney (as the house is 100 years old and the liner is muh safer ) and it does have a strong pull on the fire alright.
Maybe this was why the Morso 3440 was a problem, I have an old Jotul 301 in its place and it is a lot easier to control. I dont think the 301 was available to the American marlet, it is a very tall convector stove, works brilliantly,
Angus

Status
Not open for further replies.