Jotul stove authenticity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oakandstoke

Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2008
Gold Country, CA
How does one ascertain the authenticity of a Jotul stove built in the 1970s, i.e. F 118? (I understand there were a number of unlawful imitations being exported from Asia to the US in the 1970s.)

I grew up with both. Genuine in the den, knockoff in the basement.

Theres a very good picture of the real deal on this site..... Says Jotul on the door, also note the writing on the top end of the stove. None of the knockoffs I've seen have the neat writing.. its either missing, or scripted.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/9050/

sorry the links not live.

I appreciate the insight, though I am made to believe that some of them were rather accurate (cosmetic) duplications. What do you mean by "scripted?" I find those vintage '70s Jotul 118s to be remarkably attractive and may look to buy one someday. A guy near Columbus, OH was trying to get $700 for one, but there is one on Ebay now that hasn't met the reserve with a "Buy It Now" price of $750 (Pickup Only, though).

P.S. I just bought a Jotul 602 for my trip from Ohio to California (the Coal and Woodburner Shoppe in Toledo has prices that shame the competition), with nothing more than the worldly possessions I can pack under the cap of my Toyota Tacoma. I had great luck with a Jotul F3 CB, and have a gut feeling about Jotuls in general.

Many thanks,

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.