just got my gas bill......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you on this one.
I've been burning wood for 27 years and loving it.
So far this winter I have used 4 gal of oil and I keep my house temp at a cozy 76 deg

Mine was $33 last month - basically a month's worth of hot water, which includes $16 for the privilege of being their customer, and a whole stack of taxes for the city, county, and state, plus several other fees for who knows what.

Nothing like using the gas bill as firestarter, though! I wish I had the spare capacity on my load center, I'd probably have put in an electric water heater and had the gas co come out and shut off service.

We are all electric, including well pump and the bill this time was $37. Of course that is deceptive since it is a co-op and they overcharge us every month and bank the overage for a "capital reserve". Then in hottest months and coldest months they give little bits of it back in "capital credits". Mostly it is to bribe us not to select another electricity supplier since deregulation kicked in.

awesome man.. that has to be a great feeling..

$47 for last month. Not bad for mostly evenings and weekend burning. Next year, I'm set to go 24/7. Then the
bill should be limited to water heater and connection charges.

$212.00 for 18 months of propane! I love my wood stove, and my tankless hot water heater! :lol:

Always a nice surprise with a gas bill that low.

We slowed our wood burning the last 5 years to part time with gas bill for the
season at about $300.00........but last year it went to $1600.00 so this year we
burned more wood and cut 600 bucks off it. Next year we will be back to almost
full time burning for more savings. I heat my garage/workshop with gas so can't
get it near as low as yours but should be able to half it again.

I figure that my tankless hot water tank ( $1105.78 :shut: includes everthing & install myself ) paid for itself in one year with propane!

It was hard for me to spend that much on a HW tank but the 10 year gaurantee on it, and alot of research convinced me to go for it! One of the best things I did! :coolgrin:

Next I hope will be a T-6 from P.E.! :coolsmirk:

Mine was just 630 for a fill up of oil. The guy was going to make us pay with credit until my wife told them we had a wood stove (haven't gotten oil since July) and he said, "Wow, you guys are lucky!" We were given check at time of delivery status. Now here is a thing for you code guys. My furnace has only gone on about 3 times this winter for heat, only hot water. The town told me I couldn't have a larger tank, "because the size of the house doesn't need it". How can I get around this and still be in code? I only have a 225, but would be willing to double tank (which is what I want even if it is way too large for 1400sq).
Thanks in advance,
Chad

Oh, FATTT
My stove did the same thing in one year to my oil. 2 years ago I had to fill up 4 times.

Yeah, I am averaging around 35-50 gallons of oil, or was in December-early March. It stil hurts at close to $4.00 a gallon!

cozy heat said:
Mine was $33 last month - basically a month's worth of hot water, which includes $16 for the privilege of being their customer, and a whole stack of taxes for the city, county, and state, plus several other fees for who knows what.

Nothing like using the gas bill as firestarter, though! I wish I had the spare capacity on my load center, I'd probably have put in an electric water heater and had the gas co come out and shut off service.

Amen, All the fees that makes the delivery of gas more expensive than the gas itself makes me want to install an LP tank and run my stove/water heater on LP!

Jay

cozy heat said:

Hey, I know this is off topic, but if any of you guys are looking at getting an electric water heater, you need to look at http://www.marathonheaters.com. Click here to see a cutaway of how these water heaters are built. They are a division of Rheem so it's a company that's been around for a while. They are more expensive, but here's the great part. They have a full lifetime tank warranty for residential use. That's partly because it is a poly tank which is guaranteed not to leak. One of the cool things is the foam insulation which is supposed to insulate the tank so well that it only loses 5 degrees in 24 hrs!! My next water heater will probably be a Marathon. I figured at current prices the savings would pay it off in about 3 yrs. But, like cozy heat said, you still need room in your breaker box.

Kansasplains

Status
Not open for further replies.