Just ordered a new stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
three days ago it was a couple hours away from my house. Two days ago it was closer (?). Then two days go by and it doesn't make it here?

It's actually a little cool out, I could be burning this thing! It is raining, so I suppose I don't want it sitting in the driveway in the rain. Maybe it's a good thing.

Got a call from the delivery company. They will be here between noon and 4 tomorrow. That's awesome! It's gonna be in the 80s tomorrow. maybe I'll do a light burn-in out in the driveway.

Run it up to five hundred on the driveway and be amazed at the fumes rising off of it. And glad that they aren't in your house.

I like your plan Dan.

pen

She's sitting in my driveway. Firebricks look good. Went to menards and got the tile and supplies for the expanded hearth. Also got 1500lbs of pavers (1/4 of total I bought), so I bet you can imagine what i've been working on.

Haven't had a chance to try to heat the neighborhood yet, but maybe tonight I'll get the itch. Will a 3' section of black pipe work for this burn-in, that's all i have lying around.

Pics will come a little later.

All these updated posts and doing the It's-almost-Christmas-Excited-Kid dance and it finally gets here . . . and not a single pic to post? ;) :) Congrats on the purchase . . . pretty sad bunch aren't we to get all excited about a woodstove. ;)

burn in the other night. Didn't really smoke all that bad at 500 degrees stove top. Sides got hotter than that and I could see the "spots" where the paint cured. It's hard to get up to temp with that little chimney on there. i had to leave the door cracked to maintain draft.

Does this picture mean that this batch of wood is good for burning? that's burning right along at 500 on the stove top. no smoke the way it should be.

Did see some flickers of secondaries when I played with shutting the door and messing with air controls, but generally that gave me draft issues and killed the fire pretty quickly. Can't wait to have it hooked to a proper chimney.

edit: cause I know someone will ask, those vehicles aren't as close as they might look.

Attachments

• DSCN0854 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0854 (Small).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 327
New member here. Thanks for all the info on the englender stove. Mine is getting delivered on Monday

Welcome. Be sure to post a picture so you can get your tshirt!

Will do. My only question is how can they afford to sell that stove for $649 and offer free shipping too

Heatmiser5 said:
Will do. My only question is how can they afford to sell that stove for $649 and offer free shipping too
Massive Markup is my best guess. The engineering and designing of this stove and the manufacturing setup were probably the biggest costs. Now they are just cranking these puppies out, so ESW probably is making just as much as they ever did on these stoves, and most of the pain from these low prices is going to HD. As long as ESW keeps making money and cranking out new designs, then I'm happy about it. HD makes plenty of money elsewhere. A few hundred stoves at this sale price probably don't hurt them. I bet it comes out at about even in terms of profit/expense.

Has ESW ever posted sales numbers before? It would be kind of cool to see how many 30s (and the other models, too) are out there in the world.

Heatmiser5 said:

I have a hard time believing that they are making any money on the stove at that price when you look at the cost of the materials, labor, overhead, and shipping. I would guess that HD has an overstock of stoves that they are trying to clear out.

Thank you Danno for bringing my attention to this stove.

My husband and I bought a stove from Lowe's last year. We didn't hook it up until we came home in March. To our huge disappointment the stove was terrible. It didn't heat up at all. I called Lowe's to see if anything could be done since we bought it last August. The manager called the manufacturer for me and said I could return the stove. So hubby and I uninstalled the piece of junk and returned it for a full refund.

With that I purchased the Englander for the sale price. Woo hoo. Hubby and I almost bought a $1600.00 stove from our local stove place.

Our Englander was shipped out about 1 1/2 weeks ago. It sat for a week at a warehouse about 2 hours away. We were supposed to get it this coming Monday...I checked and they rescheduled delivery for this coming Thursday. Nope not gonna work. Hubby and I drove down yesterday and picked it up. Gotta tell you it was crazy trying to get it into the house with just hubby and I. Gotta love our tractor, lol.

So thanks to you hubby and I are very happy. We installed it today and it is now burning with all of our doors open. Woo hoo. This thing does a great job of heating up. We love it and are very pleased with it:):)

offgridgirl said:
Thank you Danno for bringing my attention to this stove.

My husband and I bought a stove from Lowe's last year. We didn't hook it up until we came home in March. To our huge disappointment the stove was terrible. It didn't heat up at all. I called Lowe's to see if anything could be done since we bought it last August. The manager called the manufacturer for me and said I could return the stove. So hubby and I uninstalled the piece of junk and returned it for a full refund.

With that I purchased the Englander for the sale price. Woo hoo. Hubby and I almost bought a $1600.00 stove from our local stove place.

Our Englander was shipped out about 1 1/2 weeks ago. It sat for a week at a warehouse about 2 hours away. We were supposed to get it this coming Monday...I checked and they rescheduled delivery for this coming Thursday. Nope not gonna work. Hubby and I drove down yesterday and picked it up. Gotta tell you it was crazy trying to get it into the house with just hubby and I. Gotta love our tractor, lol.

So thanks to you hubby and I are very happy. We installed it today and it is now burning with all of our doors open. Woo hoo. This thing does a great job of heating up. We love it and are very pleased with it:):)
I'm glad you found the great deal, too! I can't take all the credit for it, even if you did discover the deal from my thread, I wouldn't have had a clue if not for mxjamie540. There were several posts about it from different members, but somehow I managed to miss them all!

I'm still doing a hearth rebuild before the new stove is sitting in it's place, so I envy you!

I had the link from home depot that had the price at $649. They just upped it to $899. A bit excited and anxious for tomorrow's delivery.

Heatmiser5 said:
I had the link from home depot that had the price at $649. They just upped it to $899. A bit excited and anxious for tomorrow's delivery.
899 is still a good buy. especially if they still do free delivery. These are normally like 1200 or so when you buy them from the store by me.

I saw the price change to $899 yesterday! They can't sell them for the $649 for ever, right? I believe they will be doing the same next year around the same time of the season. They did the same thing last burning season. Good thing is, if we can base it on Hearth.com member purchases they probably had a pretty successfull sale and will hopefully continue to buy a massive quantity from ESW and be able to give customers that great deal again. As an owner of two cat stoves, I will remain very curious about the NC30 and its cool secondaries. My view of the Englander stoves has changed a great deal as a result of being a member here, thank you all for sharing your experience!

Still working on a major hearth renovation to hold this new stove. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post soon. I took a picture of the 12 there, and I have a picture before the 12. I hope that it turns out as cool as my mind has pictured it. I do need to work out a mantel shield for this antique mantel I'll be putting up. haven't decided exactly what I'm doing for every aspect of this build, but I've got the whole summer to figure it out, and I just might need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.