Just paid for the Mansfield, delivery in early March - Mansfield owners: any advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
willmcb said:
The heat that is claimed to be absorbed by the soapstone goes up the chimney.

Thank you. I have long thought that but since I don't own a rock stove I wasn't prepared for the rocks that would be thrown at me if I said it. ;-)

BrotherBart said:
willmcb said:

Thank you. I have long thought that but since I don't own a rock stove I wasn't prepared for the rocks that would be thrown at me if I said it. ;-)

Hogwash! That would mean all soapstone owners would see higher flue temps than steel/cast stoves and that's not the case. Soapstone just evens out the BTU's over a longer period.

Todd said:
BrotherBart said:
willmcb said:

Hogwash! That would mean all soapstone owners would see higher flue temps than steel/cast stoves and that's not the case. Soapstone just evens out the BTU's over a longer period.

WRONG! IT'S A FAD!

Now hush, I'm reading my Heritage manual...

Todd said:
BrotherBart said:
willmcb said:

Yours has a cat in the way (blowing into a steel plate by the way). It would be interesting to see some soapstone non-cat flue temps. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:
BrotherBart said:
willmcb said:

Yours has a cat in the way (blowing into a steel plate by the way). It would be interesting to see some soapstone non-cat flue temps. :coolsmirk:

My Hearthstone Homestead had the same flue temps in same chimney as my similar sized Regency. My Fireview is 100 degrees lower on average. :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:
BrotherBart said:
willmcb said:

700-800 internal flue gas temp with a Condor probe while stove top is at 500-550. Non-cat Mansfield heating a 2700 sq foot home with no problem..... High 70's downstairs, low 70's - high 60's upstairs which is just the way we like it. If I am losing heat up the pipe so be it, my family is warm. I don't use excessive wood..... I load three times in a 24hr period..... Stove never get's below 400..... No issues and I love my stove.

I am going to start a new forum titled "Opinion on Soapstone" to further explain my theory. So take a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.