1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Just saw the coolest thing!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by snowleopard, Nov 16, 2011.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard New Member

I was in my garage, talking with some gentlemen who are installing an oil-burning direct-vent heater in there and in my house. We were talking about how much warmer it was in the garage than outside, even without heat, and I picked up a bottle of water out of a case that was sitting there, and said, "Look at this--the water isn't even frozen!" and it turned from clear liquid to slush in my hand. I couldn't believe it--I've heard about it, but I thought supercooling was only achieved in laboratories. I did it with another bottle, and the same thing happened. I handed one to one of the guys, and he tried tapping that, and it didn't work, but when he shook it, it immediately turned to slush. By the time we'd left the garage about ten minutes later, it was just about frozen. The untouched bottles were still clear liquid.

Simple pleasures for simple minds . . .

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    WHAAAAAT? I couldn't get past the wimpy oil-burning heater part. Where are we, Alaska? :lol:
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah. Left the kid and cat there for a week to fend for themselves and then when she is back she puts in oil heat. :coolsmirk:
  4. snowleopard

snowleopard New Member

Coulda just kept going, ya know. Didn't have to come back here. Coulda just walked up to any airline and shoved money across the counter, and said, "South." But did I? no. I came back. It's -20F and falling fast. Once we get a nice inversion going, we can smugly remind those flatlanders of how the weathermen always end their temperature reports: it's "warmer in the hills." (Yeah, we feel smug when it's only -39 as long as someone else has -40. I know that's pathetic, but I take my comfort where I can.) Right now, it's just cold everywhere.

I was Outside for awhile one winter. Flew back into a storm. Unusual to get cold and severe weather at the same time, but that was what awaited me. I slept on the plane, woke up disoriented when we landed, looked out the window and couldn't exactly place where I was, or why. I just looked out at the icy winds and darkness, and remembered that I had to get off there, but I couldn't remember what it was that I had done to deserve that . . .

Where would I be without you guys? but fend for themselves, eh? Michelle is still out in the woodpile, and this furball is currently occupying . . . my pillow? Really? She got up and moved to the middle of the bed as I typed that. She is downright spooky sometimes . . . .
  5. piejam

piejam Member

Hey Snowleopard,

Glad you're back safe, sound..and warm!
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    In the kind of weather you are having it is not a good idea even to pee outdoors!
  7. piejam

piejam Member

Yeah but you gotta love those homemade slurpee's.........