Just when I think the stove season is over.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
It's very rare for me to get the stove going this time of year here in PA. but they are calling for a high of 47 degrees with wind chills in the 30's maybe 20's on Saturday so it looks like I'll be doing what I did a few weeks ago, burning some odd sized chunks that I have had in the garage for a long time. This weather is as wacky as the world we are living in right now! But one good thing about this shutdown is while I am laid off I have access to the compost site which usually is only open Wednesdays and Saturdays, but with this plague the hours are Monday-Friday 8 to 2, so I have plenty of time to get up there and there is a lot of wood and not many seem to be interested in getting it so I am loaded to the brim for the future

Same here. Calling for a decent frost over the weekend. Had 70* this past weekend!

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Expecting snow. Wood insert was vacuumed. Wood boiler cleaning is this week so no fire there either.

This puts me on the big Bad LP bottle.

We’ve got a forecast for possible snow on Friday night, here in eastern PA, which is fine... my stove is still going 24/7 on one full load per day.

We have a couple nights with low 30s forecasted starting tomorrow night with a heavy frost expected. I will fire the stove up but I'm trying to get together enough sheets,tarps, blankets, you name it to cover my 90ft×25ft garden. I sure dont wanna have to replant.

Yup-- Snow coming to Connecticut too.. When there is snow there is fire. I will be bringing in enough for two nights tomorrow. As night time temps will be in the lower 30's.. This is one for my record book as the latest season burn in my 12 years with a woodstove. Here's Ben when he was just 4 months old -- man the last 5-1/2 years have been quick.

Attachments

• 10922461_770904259631990_2694051366890972249_n.jpg
    10922461_770904259631990_2694051366890972249_n.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 126
We’ve got a forecast for possible snow on Friday night, here in eastern PA, which is fine... my stove is still going 24/7 on one full load per day.
Were you burning last weekend when it was near 80 here?

Mowed the lawn and took the snow shovel out of the shed.

Haven't had the stove going during the day this last week but have fired it up in the evenings to take the chill out. Been letting it slow burn overnight and rekindled in the morning as well. Been a mix of high 30's to mid-40's during the evening to morning time period. Supposed to drop pretty good this weekend with snow in the forecast (4-10 inches depending on which model you look at).

Last winter ('18-'19) we had a ton of snow and winter lasted around nine months. Nowhere near as much snow this winter ('19-'20) however winter is definitely hanging around for a long time. I've burned into June in many years and started back up again in late August so usually don't clean the stove out until July.

Yup-- Snow coming to Connecticut too.. When there is snow there is fire. I will be bringing in enough for two nights tomorrow. As night time temps will be in the lower 30's.. This is one for my record book as the latest season burn in my 12 years with a woodstove. Here's Ben when he was just 4 months old -- man the last 5-1/2 years have been quick.
Is Ben the stove, the dog, or the plant?
Were you burning last weekend when it was near 80 here?
To be honest, with working from home, the days are running together in my head. I did skip an evening last weekend, might have been Saturday or Sunday. But our walls are 20” thick stone and mud, and still holding about 53F, so it really needs to get quite warm out before my need for heat ends. The reverse is true in the fall, our walls hold some summer heat on those early cool nights.

Looking back now, we had 68F Saturday and 74F Sunday, and while I didn’t need heat during the day, it still feels chilly when it dips 20F - 25F lower overnight. I’m not far fromMacungie, used to spend happy hour there every Friday, 20 years ago.

Last winter ('18-'19) we had a ton of snow and winter lasted around nine months. Nowhere near as much snow this winter ('19-'20) however winter is definitely hanging around for a long time. I've burned into June in many years and started back up again in late August so usually don't clean the stove out until July.
Wow! :eek:

What place are you talking about? I'm right next door in Emmaus.
Had two coworkers with houses on the mountain, conveniently right up the hill behind Shangy’s, and one had a large deck and four kegerators. So, we’d often end up there. We also used to frequent a basement bar below a large restaurant (Cavanaugh’s?) with green shag carpet on the walls and the support columns dressed up like palm tree trunks, as they had live music most nights. I know that restaurant has changed names, but there’s still a restaurant there.

Is Ben the stove, the dog, or the plant?

The plant is an amaryllis flower - never named , Ben is the dog AKA "King Ben" -- My stoves name is Abigail named after the internet IT support woman I had a conversation with years ago. Man her voice sure got me thinkin. ( She's a hottie ).

One more shot of Ben ( quail training ) after all he is the King.

P5070991.JPG

Well have the old stove cranking today, cold as they predicted but sunny, I thought it was supposed to be dark and ugly out, but it is sunny but windy. I guess I went a little over zealous though with feeding him stove chow, I just had to leave the room and come upstairs as it is 80 degrees in there lol! ;lol :eek:

Nice day in Central/North Connecticut ?? Snow squall come thru at 6:30pm today May 9th. It did not deter the fishermen from showing up. Just another day in paradise ! Here's the view of the lake a little hard to see the snow that is blowing sideways with a strong wind.

Yes , the woodstock fireview is burning a little of next years stash.

Attachments

• P5090993.JPG
    P5090993.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 102