Justify buying pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AccentraRRT

Burning Hunk
Mar 1, 2014
Massachusetts
anyone else having trouble justifying buying pellets?
I don't know what it is, but I am having trouble bringing myself to buy pellets this year.
I have about 1 1/2 ton left from last year..
Oil is has trended up but it's still around 1.70/Gal.

Not the same equation in my locale so pellets have been ordered. How much of a buffer do you have if oil prices go crazy?

Personally, I can wait until oil hits around 3.00 per gallon before dipping into pellets to STILL break even. No cleaning, lugging, noise etc either. Will burn for joy, not necessity this year.

Reactions: AccentraRRT
Yeah I have 1 1/2 ton of blazers left over from last year.. with BB stores still selling $269/T and other places selling "early buys" for around 3-350/ton; I have 3/4 a tank of oil and will probably fill.. burn oil and low burn the pellets.

I have no problem justifying my pellet purchase. Of course it was easy since I don't have any oil burning appliance.... lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: AccentraRRT
I guess I should have also explained that my stove is in our finished basement and for the first 2 seasons was used to cook us out of the basement and heat the house, last year was mainly just run low to heat the basement and supplement the house.

To be honest, I have no idea what Oil is in my area. Doesn't matter.
I bought 100 gallons last January and still have 1/4 tank as we only use it for Domestic hot water..
My wife sez house has never felt warmer these past 3 yrs we have used a pellet stove.[not well insulated 90 yr old house]
Guess it's the constant blowing heat as opposed to the on/off baseboard heat.
Oil prices will eventually rise up again so no problem burning pellets for us.
we save $$$ in other areas to compensate..

Reactions: rich2500
I like to burn so it doesn't matter to me that the price of oil or natural gas is cheap. I do like to find a deal on pellets but I will burn no matter what.

Uh, oh, oil damn near $50. My supplier is at 1.92/ gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.