Keystone on its way!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roxburyeric said:
I have been looking at the Fireview but I'm not sure how well it would heat my 2,500 sq. ft. house in CT. Open floor plan with vaulted ceiling in great room (where the fireplace is on an outside wall) all open to the 3 bedrooms on 2nd floor. Any thoughts? I realize it is rated for only 1,600 ft.
Well, I think it's probably not realistic that a stove rated for 1600' is going to effectively heat 2500'. If your house is really well insulated, has decent solar gain and good protection from wind, then I think the Fireview would meet your needs completely 90-95% of the time. In the coldest weather you might need to supplement just a bit with your furnace.

That's what I have been thinking. Add one vote for a larger Woodstock Stove.

jpl1nh said:
Roxburyeric said:
I have been looking at the Fireview but I'm not sure how well it would heat my 2,500 sq. ft. house in CT. Open floor plan with vaulted ceiling in great room (where the fireplace is on an outside wall) all open to the 3 bedrooms on 2nd floor. Any thoughts? I realize it is rated for only 1,600 ft.
Well, I think it's probably not realistic that a stove rated for 1600' is going to effectively heat 2500'. If your house is really well insulated, has decent solar gain and good protection from wind, then I think the Fireview would meet your needs completely 90-95% of the time. In the coldest weather you might need to supplement just a bit with your furnace.

Doesn't a member here, "NYSoapstone" heat over 2000sq ft with his Fireview? I know that 1600 sq ft heat rating is a very conservative number and if you read some of the stove ratings here and the customer testimonials on the Woodstock site, people are heating well over 1600 sq ft easily. Jpl is right, alot depends on insulation, weather and other factors. But if you did decide to give it a try and it didn't work out they have that 6 month money back guarantee.

Todd said:
Doesn't a member here, "NYSoapstone" heat over 2000sq ft with his Fireview? I know that 1600 sq ft heat rating is a very conservative number and if you read some of the stove ratings here and the customer testimonials on the Woodstock site, people are heating well over 1600 sq ft easily. Jpl is right, alot depends on insulation, weather and other factors. But if you did decide to give it a try and it didn't work out they have that 6 month money back guarantee.

While I'm certain that Woodstock would make good on its guarantee, it is still not a reason to gamble on choosing a stove. While good, the guarantee is not a zero cost game if you choose to take Woodstock up on it.

Cost to use Woodstock "guarantee":
1. Initial shipping, $125+
2. Initial pickup at truck depot
3. Initial install cost and/or time (opportunity cost)
4. Cost to de-install and re-crate stove
5. Cost to move and deliver back to trucking depot
6. Cost to reconfigure existing hearth and chimney setup if the next stove is different in terms of flue height, clearances, etc.

While I think the guarantee is very noble of Woodstock, I think it should be considered only as a last resort, not an excuse to gamble on a stove that is borderline at best in a larger home.

For the person with the 2500 sq ft house in CT, I would not gamble. You have vaulted ceilings as well, which make your effective heating volume more than 2500 sq ft. While some have success heating greater volume than 1600 sq ft, in your installation I think you are too far removed from 1600 sq ft to take a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.