Kind of slow here, so how bout some ?'s from the FNG.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shtrdave

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2012
SW PA
So as I look at my stove burning, somethings come to mind, things that I asked about when I bought mine but the dealer no doubt thought I was a Loon.

Inside the stove on each side is a ledge at least 3 inches wide, where the ash builds up on, would it not have made more sense to have an angle there so the ash slides into the ash pan instead of just building up there. Also small ledges on the back wall. Has anyone bent some steel and made an angle an set it on the ledge? If so did it work? There is one piece of fire brick in the stove, would more not have helped it hold onto the heat to be radiated?

There is a cast piece above the burnpot to direct the flame outward, looks to get pretty dirty, anyone every polished it? And maybe polished the burnpot also, I would think this would make the ash slide or move easier and because of the smoother finish be easier to clean.

I can understand the exhaust fan running for a period after the stove shuts down once the room temp is hit, but it runs for so long that any heat that could be left and radiated into the room to help keep the temp is pulled out the exhaust and wasted.

I am sure I could come up with some more items, but I wouldn't want to over do it.

Thanks guys and gals for a friendly place to learn about the joys of pellet burning.

Mad Dog is working on producing ashless pellets. Once he gets it perfected shtrdave you won't have to waste your time with those ideas and enhancements.:rolleyes:

Pure speculation but....I'd assume that while putting angles on the side would funnel the ash into the pan more effectively, it would diminish the total area the stove has to radiate heat as that part of the stove wouldn't get as hot. This is assuming they were welded in from the factory. If you were to just place angled pieces, as you suggested, it could very well work. They could be secured/removed in a similar fashion as the flame guide is. Harmans intent was probably to keep the design simple. I clean that area with a 2 1/2" putty knife. Gets the job done very quickly and easily.

On to the fire brick. That's there to protect the steel from overheating by insulating it. The more brick inside the stove, the less heat gets into the room via radiation. If you lined the entire stove with brick you'd be relying solely on the heat exchanger to get the heat into the room. The rest would go out the vent pipe. If anything, I'd think putting heat exchangers on the sides as well would be a good idea. It would definitely increase the price, and possibly the size of the stove though.

I don't think polishing the flame guide or the burn pot would make much difference. I've never seen anything other than very fine light ash on the flame guide although I do dust it off whenever the door is opened. Purely cosmetic IMO. Not sure about polishing the burn pot. I'd imagine it would still get carbon burned onto it.

I dont have auto ignition but as far as the exhaust fan running after the stove is turned off/out of fuel, I wouldn't want it any other way for safetys sake. When I shut my stove off I want to know the pellets stop feeding and the fan runs and cools the stove off asap. I wont even get into the smoke/CO issue. I understand what your intention is here but I don't know how it could be accomplished, unless you had a HUGE natural draft from the vent pipe and I still don't think it would work.

I like the fact you are analytical about your stove. While IMO the Harman P series has excellent bones, I'm amazed and baffled at some of the stupid products and design flaws/shortcomings out there. They're everywhere you look. My most recent item is my daughters crib mobile. When I was young, my mobile would spin for 10-15 minutes on one winding. Hers goes about 2 minutes. Just enough to get her attention and guess what happens next? Guess I needed to spend $45 on the battery operated one.

So as I look at my stove burning, somethings come to mind, things that I asked about when I bought mine but the dealer no doubt thought I was a Loon.

Inside the stove on each side is a ledge at least 3 inches wide, where the ash builds up on, would it not have made more sense to have an angle there so the ash slides into the ash pan instead of just building up there. Also small ledges on the back wall. Has anyone bent some steel and made an angle an set it on the ledge? If so did it work? There is one piece of fire brick in the stove, would more not have helped it hold onto the heat to be radiated?

There is a cast piece above the burnpot to direct the flame outward, looks to get pretty dirty, anyone every polished it? And maybe polished the burnpot also, I would think this would make the ash slide or move easier and because of the smoother finish be easier to clean.

I can understand the exhaust fan running for a period after the stove shuts down once the room temp is hit, but it runs for so long that any heat that could be left and radiated into the room to help keep the temp is pulled out the exhaust and wasted.

I am sure I could come up with some more items, but I wouldn't want to over do it.

Thanks guys and gals for a friendly place to learn about the joys of pellet burning.

It seems that all the dealers think customers are Loons. The best way to go about it is to go into a dealership dressed in bummy clothes, ask stupid questions, then pull out a huge roll of money. I mean huge. Then look around at the merchandise and say things like "I pay cash." All of a sudden your questions won't be so stupid anymore.

It seems that all the dealers think customers are Loons. The best way to go about it is to go into a dealership dressed in bummy clothes, ask stupid questions, then pull out a huge roll of money. I mean huge. Then look around at the merchandise and say things like "I pay cash." All of a sudden your questions won't be so stupid anymore.

I hear this method works with the ladies as well!! Who wants to lend me so dough??

Reactions: DexterDay
The two main design points with a pellet stove are, burning the pellets as cleanly as possible and extracting as much heat from the exchanger as possible while not lowering the flue temperature such that certain volatiles can condense out.

Just about every aspect outside of that is down on the list.

I'm sure if you look at enough stoves you'll discover they do not all have the same internal or external for that matter setup.

I would like a deeper receptacle for my burn pot to sit in or a trap door on the bottom. Nothing to do with heat retention etc, just could go longer between cleanings. If I get some time this summer I might make a bottom plate for the burn pot that will provide a bit better ash removal from the burn pot.

There are a number of things on each stove that could be reworked a bit.

Attachments

• 425636_large.jpg
    425636_large.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 106
Okay guys, let me in on how the quote thing works, I can't find the little thingy that says quote.
Anyway I did pay cash, and he no doubt still thought I was a Loon. As for the ladies, I believe it would take a whole lot more than what the stove cost, and I am not sure my ROI would be as good.
Now I heard there was Beer around here somewhere, where is that confounded Beer?

Okay guys, let me in on how the quote thing works, I can't find the little thingy that says quote.
Anyway I did pay cash, and he no doubt still thought I was a Loon. As for the ladies, I believe it would take a whole lot more than what the stove cost, and I am not sure my ROI would be as good.
Now I heard there was Beer around here somewhere, where is that confounded Beer?
Click reply in the post you wanna quote.
Wanna talk beer, this thread will work for that. ;)

It was tough but just hit the reply on the lower right and it should get you started

Reactions: smoke show
Thanks guys I gave you each a like for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.