Kindling cracker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not sure if I replied on this thread but hand in hand with a kindling cracker is dead blow hammer with shot filled head. Harbor Freight has them. It transfers more energy into the wood to be split.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Got one for Christmas...have used a few times. It's okay but I wouldn't label it as a "must have" in your firewood aresnal.
I also got one for Christmas several years ago. I don't always use kindling, but when I want to it's good for that. Also good for small hard to balance pieces to split in half.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I got one to save my thumbs from a hatchet. I love it. I sit out in the shed with some neil young and make kindling. It's great. Need to k ow how to sharpen it though. My hammer it the the blade once and made a small dent.

At this point mine could probably use some sharpening. Maybe with a sharpening stone on a drill?

Just avoid a power tool as it really easy to overheat and edge and ruin it.

I am good at sharpening axes, adzes, and big chisels that I build log cabins with. This device would be tricky to sharpen.
Get a 12 inch file. Get a 6 inch 1x2 and drill a small hole in the end, push the end of the file in the hole so you have a 6 inch wooden handle on the file.
Tricky.

Sounds like a manual file is the way to go. I don't want to alter/ruin the blade as it does a good job. And I'd sure like to live in a log cabin in the woods.