Kindling/Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Went back in loaded up some basswood that was bucked in Dec 2009 then split in the spring, split it down smaller for kindling.

After grabbing the ironwood I made another run back in to grab another load of basswood for kindling.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1046.jpg
    100_1046.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 439
  • 100_1047.jpg
    100_1047.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 257
The wife is going to put down the pellets for sure this winter.......Winter should be a very happy time at your house.

smokinjay said:
The wife is going to put down the pellets for sure this winter.......Winter should be a very happy time at your house.

I hope so smokin, I stopped by the local stihl dealer after work and there was a 660 with either a 28 or 32 inch bar.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

I hope so smokin, I stopped by the local stihl dealer after work and there was a 660 with either a 28 or 32 inch bar.

zap

28 is a very easy bar length imo to use. I have a 32in. and dont like it at all...660 could be a little different I have only ran one of those with a 36in. bar. Seem big, but I could get over it pretty quick if I owen one. 660 would be my next saw if I was looking.

Skier76 said:
That's a good lookin pile there zap.

Last year we went through one face cord of kindling, I guess not burning 24/7 you use more.

zap

Seems like a fitting end for basswood. Saves the pine.

My Econoburn has me re-starting fires more often than my old boiler did. I used more kindling after we started it up last Christmas than I did in the 10 years before. But I'm not complaining! Man, that thing can make heat! So, for the first time ever, I'm actually thinking about kindling, and setting some aside. I use mostly cedar, split fine. It dries in about 1 week at most.
Happy burning.

If you have a carpenter friend, have him set aside a pickup load of cutoffs on his next framing job. Keeps them out of the landfill and is easy.

zapny said:
Skier76 said:
That's a good lookin pile there zap.

Last year we went through one face cord of kindling, I guess not burning 24/7 you use more.

zap

I hear ya. I use a lot as well. Starting the fire from scratch on Friday night...then a number of relights from coals over the weekend.

worked on mine last weekend

wood1004.jpg

and a couple of 2 year old seasoned splits to go with it

wood1006.jpg

need to stack 11/12 wood soon

zapny said:
Went back in loaded up some basswood that was bucked in Dec 2009 then split in the spring, split it down smaller for kindling.

After grabbing the ironwood I made another run back in to grab another load of basswood for kindling.

zap

Nice stack of match sticks Zap, I do the same ....no messing around once the cold weather hits.

WoodButcher

Stevebass4 said:
worked on mine last weekend

wood1004.jpg

and a couple of 2 year old seasoned splits to go with it

wood1006.jpg

need to stack 11/12 wood soon

stevebass3 nice work, for me I think two more loads of basswood for kindling after tonight will do then like you I still have wood that needs stacking.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.