Kuma Sequoia 1 Year Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadVoodooDaddy

Feb 19, 2016
Puyallup, WA
Hello again fellow Wood Heads,

I have been getting a few questions regarding the Kuma Sequoia so I thought it would be a good time to give it a one year review.

I know that the winter hasn't kicked in yet, actually the summer hasn't passed yet either but I missed the heat of the stove radiating through the house so the first moment the nights got into the 40's I cranked that sucker up.

So, firstly, I forgot how quickly and easily the fire starts in this thing. I use lighter pine for my fires and starting a fire with some dry sticks in the stove is almost as easy as flipping a switch on a gas stove, but much more satisfying. Within minutes I was hearing that gentle hum of air rushing through a barely cracked door and the fire roaring inside. I think within 10 minutes the catalyst was up to temp and I was able to sit back and relax in the heat.

Secondly, I forgot how much heat this thing puts out. This unit is in a full brick fireplace so the majority of heat is radiating through the front. As a standalone unit, this thing would power a sweat-lodge. I had the fire going in the early afternoon and the house was 80 degrees within a couple of hours. By the time we actually got bed, the house was feeling extremely warm and this was one of few times where my wife was finally happy with the windows wide open in the bedroom and I wasn't dying of suffocation without any fresh air in. By the time morning came along the stove was still hot with a heavy load of coals on the bottom. Even with the fan on full blast the load lasted good 10 hours without any problem.

I decided to lock everything up and let the coals burn during the day. I just wanted to see how much heat retention would play a part in keeping the coals going. I was pleasantly surprised when I came home at the end of the day wanting to start another fire. I got my sticks laid out without even checking the stove thinking it was cold and no coals were inside. Little did I know that the stove had other plans. I opened the door and started moving the ashes around when I noticed plenty of red embers around. I put some dry logs on top and within minutes I was greeted with a strong fire inside the stove.

Overall, I think the stove is one of the best products on the market. As an insert it is amazing, as a standalone it is by far the best product you can buy for your home. If the airflow is unobstructed in front of the door glass, there is always a nice clean view inside the stove. Any obstruction in air flow will cause blackness on the glass but honestly I don't mind one bit. The stove usually doesn't have many flames inside as the majority of the heat produced comes form the catalyst during the secondary burn.

Anyways, if you have any questions, let me know. Be more than happy to help.

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that the stove still is pleasing. It'll be cold pretty soon.

Can the stove be run low and slow for an extended period of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.