Labor question, through wall install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Andrew V

Nov 28, 2013
Rochester NY
hello
I decided to move my wood stove from a central spot on my living room to an exterior corner, with a through wall install. Without material, the labor was quoted at 900$ to bring the new stove from the retailer, install the through wall chimney kit (extra cost) and set up the stove so I’ll be ready to roll. Does this seem like a fair amount? The Alderlea T5 I just bought hit the bank a little so just want to be sure.
Thanks

It's in the ballpark, especially if this is a 2 story install. Why change the location? A centrally located stove usually heats the house better.

hello
I decided to move my wood stove from a central spot on my living room to an exterior corner, with a through wall install. Without material, the labor was quoted at 900$ to bring the new stove from the retailer, install the through wall chimney kit (extra cost) and set up the stove so I’ll be ready to roll. Does this seem like a fair amount? The Alderlea T5 I just bought hit the bank a little so just want to be sure.
Thanks

Well, it's a two man install & probably at least a 4-hour job.
The installers have load their truck with all of the needed materials
& bring all that stuff with them to the job site. That is time that you're not seeing,
but the proprietor has to pay his people for THEIR time.
Add travel, unloading, protecting your floors & carpets with drop cloths...
performing the install, clean up & a brief tutorial on the nuances of
your new unit. Looks to me to be about what our install
charges were when I left the industry in 2011.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

It's in the ballpark, especially if this is a 2 story install. Why change the location? A centrally located stove usually heats the house better.

The way the living room is designed puts the stove <4 ft in front of the stove and we get baked out. The living room is a rectangle and the stove and hearth pad take up a lot of real estate since the original stove was a Hearthstone II.

Thanks for the input. Will post pictures when complete