Largest tree you've ever seen....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That 200 foot cottonwood someone showed us from a craigslist ad.;lol

I got 6 cord from the branches of this black oak tree, some of which where well longer than the 20" bar on my saw (pictured).

oak.jpg

Biggest I've seen? Meh...

Biggest I've cut? There's a better conversation. ;lol

z.jpg I will roll with the biggest hardwood I have cut. 55 inch red oak. (Note the pick up truck) I cut larger silver maples(63-72 inch) but this red was much stronger.;)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

I thought only a select few knew of Hyperion's location. Are you one of the select few or is word getting out? I'd hate to see the soil at the base of the tree get compacted...

Yah, there is a cult of people that have seen it keeping the location secret. The locations were posted for a time on a now defunct forum (Treeworld.info) and Mario Vaden's web site. Now much about them on the web is purposely posted disinformation, with descriptions stating that they are in some remote and lost area, or in another part of the greater park system where they are not. They are actually not that far off the beaten track. We hiked past and saw several of the Grove of Titan trees and what is now called Hyperion about the time that Humbolt State did the redwood survey and 'found them'. It was not disclosed how tall they were until sometime later. There are some big ass trees in that park, for sure.

I have also found the Valley of the Giants in Oregon, a grove of massive old Doug firs, red cedars and hemlocks, which the BLM gives out outdated information about regarding how to get there. The rest of the Siletz River area is completely logged out and you would never know it is there. The bridge past Valsetz is rotted out and the road to the now bulldozed town is blocked off so you have to take bypass roads to get there. I have also scouted out some large old growth stands in Bull of the Woods, and several other big tree places in Oregon and California. I off-road a lot in my Toyota 4WD and my brother's tricked out Jeep. I have also found/seen the now tallest Doug Fir near Roseburg, OR near where I used to live. The tallest Sitka Spruce fell over in the hurricane that hit Canon Beach several years ago, and I saw that one many times (it was right off the main highway).

I cut a 60" oak, but everything below 49" diameter was hollow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366512770.307582.jpg

There's one interesting white oak up the street from me. Not the largest I've seen, by any means, but it's canopy is well beyond 100 feet wide.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368935087.591021.jpg

I'll be the first to respond to me own post!

I'd have to say that the Tulip Poplar on the front lawn of my work place is the largest tree I've ever seen. It has to be close to 160ft and at least a 5ft girth at the base. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post.

Are you sure on that 160 feet? That takes a mighty tree to grow that tall.

Below is a cottonwood. That is my wife standing by it and then laying on the stump. I remember the stump was over 70" but don't remember by how much.

Cottonwood-Judy.JPG Cottonwood-Judy-2.JPG

First picture below is my wife again. This time looking at a redwood that is over 300' tall. Second picture was by another redwood.

Judy can't see the top 300 ft tall.JPG Judy looks small.JPG

They cut down this healthy Pin Oak (the bass turds) about four miles from the house. :(
This one was about 65" at breast height.
There may be other big ones around here that I don't know about.....

There really should be laws protecting these trees. Our village doesn't have one, next village over does. These idiots come in, their insurance company doesn't want a tree near the house, they cut the gorgeous, healthy trees. Including cutting trees owned by the village, without going through any kind of review. Just move in, cut them. By the time you know what they are doing, its done.
001-25.jpg

004-7.jpg

004-6.jpg

Reactions: Thistle and smokinj
Below is a cottonwood. That is my wife standing by it and then laying on the stump. I remember the stump was over 70" but don't remember by how much.

View attachment 106494 View attachment 106495

First picture below is my wife again. This time looking at a redwood that is over 300' tall. Second picture was by another redwood.

View attachment 106497 View attachment 106498

Great picture of the Cottonwood stump. I had no idea they grew to that size. See lots of white stuff blowing across the Thruway along the Mohawk. Have always presumed it was from cottonwoods..?

There really should be laws protecting these trees. Our village doesn't have one, next village over does. These idiots come in, their insurance company doesn't want a tree near the house, they cut the gorgeous, healthy trees. Including cutting trees owned by the village, without going through any kind of review. Just move in, cut them. By the time you know what they are doing, its done.
I cut a 60" oak, but everything below 49" diameter was hollow.
The guy across the street had been pestering the county for years to take it down, and they finally did. I was over there and he was saying "That thing was ready to go." Huh? Like smokinj said at the time, you don't see 'em that big, that clean. There was virtually no chance of that tree falling on the guy's house. No lean to it at all. It was down in a depression so was never exposed to the full force of the wind, and his house was upwind of where the heavy weather usually come from. :rolleyes:

Not sure why you quoted me on that, Woody. I've cut only three big trees over 40" DBH in the last year, one being an almost-dead Ash, and the other two being uprooted / broken in hurricane Sandy. The aforementioned 60" oak was broken off, about 15 feet in the air. Made for an interesting take-down.

I almost never cut a healthy tree.

Yah, there is a cult of people that have seen it keeping the location secret. The locations were posted for a time on a now defunct forum (Treeworld.info) and Mario Vaden's web site. Now much about them on the web is purposely posted disinformation, with descriptions stating that they are in some remote and lost area, or in another part of the greater park system where they are not. They are actually not that far off the beaten track. We hiked past and saw several of the Grove of Titan trees and what is now called Hyperion about the time that Humbolt State did the redwood survey and 'found them'. It was not disclosed how tall they were until sometime later. There are some big ass trees in that park, for sure.

I have also found the Valley of the Giants in Oregon, a grove of massive old Doug firs, red cedars and hemlocks, which the BLM gives out outdated information about regarding how to get there. The rest of the Siletz River area is completely logged out and you would never know it is there. The bridge past Valsetz is rotted out and the road to the now bulldozed town is blocked off so you have to take bypass roads to get there. I have also scouted out some large old growth stands in Bull of the Woods, and several other big tree places in Oregon and California. I off-road a lot in my Toyota 4WD and my brother's tricked out Jeep. I have also found/seen the now tallest Doug Fir near Roseburg, OR near where I used to live. The tallest Sitka Spruce fell over in the hurricane that hit Canon Beach several years ago, and I saw that one many times (it was right off the main highway).

Thanks for the story. Someday I want to move out west and look for those big groves. I read the book "the Wild Trees" about Sillett and Michael Taylor and was mesmerized. This came after my first trip to California and a trip to Calaveras park. That place brought tears to my eyes! I've seen the Grand Canyon, Venice, the Eiffel Tower, the Rockies, and more but nothing hit me like seeing my first Giant trees. They are mystical beings that need to be preserved and their range expanded.

Well, you do not have to move here to see the big trees. You can always visit. I do not get out to see them much myself, maybe a few times a year? I am outside most of the time though, as I ski patrol in winter on Mt Hood and I white water kayak and off-road in summer. Logging has leveled a lot in this area, and fires have destroyed a lot of other areas. Which is an issue for preserving forests; no point if they are just going to burn down, be killed by beetles, or be paved over for condo developments. For now at least these big trees are here in the western US. You can drive through some of them in the Sierras and hike to others. The tallest and the biggest trees in the world are in the coast range, the Sierras and the Cascades of Oregon and California.

6 cords is one heck of a tree.

First tree I've ever hand to noodle the branches so two guys can get them on the truck. We didn't have enough guys to get them on there whole.

I think 3 of the branches of that tree made the top 5 biggest tree's I've ever cut. The tree service guy said it was the biggest tree he's seen in Indiana, and I don't doubt it.

You had seeing the big ones get cut down, but this was starting to loose a lot of branches (probably due to lightning) and was right over a house.

Well, you do not have to move here to see the big trees. You can always visit. I do not get out to see them much myself, maybe a few times a year? I am outside most of the time though, as I ski patrol in winter on Mt Hood and I white water kayak and off-road in summer. Logging has leveled a lot in this area, and fires have destroyed a lot of other areas. Which is an issue for preserving forests; no point if they are just going to burn down, be killed by beetles, or be paved over for condo developments. For now at least these big trees are here in the western US. You can drive through some of them in the Sierras and hike to others. The tallest and the biggest trees in the world are in the coast range, the Sierras and the Cascades of Oregon and California.

We're pretty lucky to have stands of old growth in the Olympic National Forest - no signs, no roadside marker, just driving along and all of a sudden the trees are huge. Nearly as impressive are the occasional stands of very old second growth (100+years old).

That is (was) one amazing tree...the branches the equivalent of 6 22inch diameter 54 foot tall trees! What was the dbh of the tree? You must have gotten 8 cords or so total from the tree. Absolutely amazing. Wish I could have seen the tree. Do you have any pictures of it before it was cut? You'll be remembering that tree warmly:) for a few years.

Great picture of the Cottonwood stump. I had no idea they grew to that size. See lots of white stuff blowing across the Thruway along the Mohawk. Have always presumed it was from cottonwoods..?

Oh how I wish my memory was like it used to be.... I once saw the largest cottonwood in Michigan. It was located near Cornell. It definitely was larger than the one I pictured. In addition, it was quite some distance to the first branch; a very tall tree. For sure it was larger than 6' diameter. Some day I'll get back that way and see if the tree still stands.

Reactions: Thistle
I live in a place called Sherbrooke forest (pic below) which is dominated by mountain ash - which is one of the tallest hardwood trees in the world. they typically grow from 70–114.4 m (230–375 feet.) it doesn't take much to build quite a collection of firewood. ;)

The tallest i have seen is close to 300 feet.

View attachment 106452

we are very lucky to live in this beautiful area....

Status
Not open for further replies.