1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Leave your firewood at home

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Hakusan, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hakusan

Hakusan New Member

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bobbin

Bobbin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So. Me.
    The Asian Longhorn beetle is very, VERY bad news! I think the relative LACK of coverage of this new pest will be viewed historically as a very great oversight on the part of the citizenry of the USA. It's right up there with zebra mussels and millfoil in our lakes.
  3. mtcsottile

mtcsottile New Member

Loc:
    Northwestern CT
    Frightening - that's not far from us, and we camp a lot. Last time we went, we had some leftover Bio bricks that we took in to supplement scavanged wood - glad we didn't do the reverse and bring wood home from camping!

Thanks for posting -
  4. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Wait till you go through a road block and they confiscate your firewood if your from an infested area. This is no BS . It has been going on here 2 years because of the EAB.
  5. Bxpellet

Bxpellet Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bronx, NY
    They had that in effect last summer in the Catskills and Adirondack's, signs at all parking areas leading to campsites and at trail registries
  6. LeonMSPT

LeonMSPT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    From Maine, now living in Alaska
    Just "noticed" this myself. Here in Maine, we just haul it from home, or buy it on the road on the way in, no receipts. I've been researching stops on my way across to Oregon from Maine in a week. Headed out to work for the summer. The campground rules in the states I checked out state clearly, "Do NOT haul firewood into any state campground from outside of the county. Buy your wood from an APPROVED vendor, and retain your receipt."

Glad I saw this before I loaded and headed out. Unsure of what on earth you would do with the wood once you arrived either. Besides burn it...

Traded the 1996 GMC with 225,000 miles on it on a 2009 F150 Fx4... I'll put some pics up tomorrow night. Haven't been a Ford man in my life, but dad works at the dealership... so far I am glad I did it, but I've only made one payment. :)
  7. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    "Firewood is usually firewood for a reason," Lombard said. "It's usually the junky, nasty, dead trees in someone's yard that they cut down and don't know what to do with. They are junky, dead trees for a reason, usually because they are infested with something."

------

Hmmm . . . my firewood isn't all junky, nasty and dead :) . . . well after I get done cutting the tree down I suppose it's dead. Of course, I realize Lombard is talking about folks cutting down dead/diseased trees in MA and then hauling the wood to the camp.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.