Lessons learned in first year w/a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A stove shouldn't really act as a dehumidifier.
\

Not intentionally. The heated air is dryer than ambient so it dillures the humidity plus it's dry outside in the winter so out goes the moisture.

Why do you think snow disappears (slowly) even when it's below freezing outside? Because it aspirates in the wind and changes from a solid to an airborne substance (water vapor).

\

Not intentionally. The heated air is dryer than ambient so it dillures the humidity plus it's dry outside in the winter so out goes the moisture.

Why do you think snow disappears (slowly) even when it's below freezing outside? Because it aspirates in the wind and changes from a solid to an airborne substance (water vapor).

That doesn't really have anything to do with a stove being used. If it is warmer in the house, that will increase the stack effect and the amount of indoor air that leaves the house through air infiltration up into the attic then out - and also at the same time draw in the drier (and colder) outside air though air infiltration coming in down low (e.g. rim joist area). If the house is made warmer by a central heating furnace, or boiler, or even electric baseboard, the same thing will happen.

Whatever. I'll continue to use my outside air intake and my humidifiers which I just filled 20 minutes ago.

Reactions: F4jock
Whatever. I'll continue to use my outside air intake and my humidifiers which I just filled 20 minutes ago.

Agreed on the OAK - I don't think I ever said those were bad, but on re-reading some posts above there's a quote there that might imply it. If they're not installed right they could lead to draft issues in some cases (like on the wrong side of the house), maybe, but otherwise I think they're a good idea.

I've got an OAK on our fireplace, but the fireplace never gets used (except for Christmas time, it seems) so it's closed all the time. I leave a basement window that is right behind the boiler cracked very slightly, it feeds the boiler air intake when it's going along with the baro damper when the wind is blowing. If neither is happening, there is hardly any air coming in it.

My humidity is reading 25% right now, which is on the low side, but I will keep on keeping on as well - it's not hurting anything. One of these years I might try to tighten this place up some in certain spots, although it's fairly tight now.

Someone mentioned that an OAK might rust the inside of the stove from excessive moisture. I would assume pellet or otherwise. I used an OAK for 10 years on a woodstove with no problems at all. I guess it could but I'm not that smart when it comes to these things, I go by experience and gut.

Someone mentioned that an OAK might rust the inside of the stove from excessive moisture. I would assume pellet or otherwise. I used an OAK for 10 years on a woodstove with no problems at all. I guess it could but I'm not that smart when it comes to these things, I go by experience and gut.

Can't say I've heard that one before. Shouldn't be an issue for sure in winter when the stove is being used, since the outside air is so dry. Then in the summer I wouldn't think it would draw much outside air in if the fire isn't going & draft would be next to nothing. Could put a shut-off flapper/damper in if it was a concern? Ours isn't a stove, rather a pre-fab fireplace (very inefficient - basically esthetics only). It's been there 19 years now with an OAK hooked up (although shut off) the whole time, no signs of rust or condensation or anything odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.