Let it die

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pine Knot

Hearth Supporter
Nov 10, 2007
Southwest Virginia
With daytime highs predicted near 70 and nights 50 degrees here in Southwest Virginia it's time to take a break from burning, that is with some of last weekend's 1 foot of snow still lying around. I started burning earlier than usual last fall and I am ready to take a break tending the stove.No doubt I will have to start it again before the season is out but for now the heat pump can handle it.

Yep. Burned last night and the morning chill chaser is burning down right now. Not as warm as SW VA but close enough to just take the edge off with space heaters for a few days.

And enjoy slopping through the mud from the melting snow.

During the last couple of days, I've gone to one fire per day--about 7 p.m. Temps have only been
in the 50's, but solar gain is keeping our main living area in the low 70's during the day.

We're headed into a weekend of rain and 40's. I'll probably move to two small fires per day instead
of one big one. I need to start mixing in some shoulder season wood, so I don't overheat the house.

Ja, it's been above freezing so I let mine die but I re-lit it last evening cuz the weather guessers said it would get cold. By bedtime it was too hot in the house and still above freezing so I decided to let it die again. Woke up to a still hot house and melting temps. Now the weather guessers are saying the temps will drop steadily to about -16C tonight so I poked around in the ashes and found enough coals to get the fire going again. Nice to have my morning coffee by a warm fire before heading off to work. Hope the wife keeps the fire going today.

It was plenty warm in the house this morning but i just couldn't bring myself to let it die so I'm sitting here in shorts, still enjoying the fire. I'm really not looking forward to spring. What am I going to do with all my time?

wendell said:
I'm really not looking forward to spring. What am I going to do with all my time?

Cut and split firewood. What else? :lol:

Hate to say it, but another wintery system is moving through our area. They're saying possible snow for Sat. and Sunday. If this heads east it will chill you all out, once again.

BrotherBart said:
wendell said:
I'm really not looking forward to spring. What am I going to do with all my time?

You mean it's not going to do that on its own?

Crap. I guess I better get back to work.

It warmed into the 80s the last two days after beeing in the single digits last weekend. Let the fire burn out Wed. night. I missed it so much that I went out yesturday and burned 5 acres of pasture and one huge plie of brush. The brush pile had flames reaching about 45" high. With that and the pastures burning I saw a gazillion BTUs go up in smoke. Sure wish that I could have banked some of them somewhere.
Brad

73 degrees and overcast here. I had to open windows downstairs to warm it up down there. I will not mind the next three days of this at all. Rain coming Tuesday and then back to wood heat.

For the first time since late Nov .....I did'nt have an overnight fire last night.
And I just gave the stove a good cleaning. The windows are open and the air smells good.
Tonight when I light it up again (having company)......I have some hickory bark set aside and I'll make sure to puff some into the room. Between that and the fresh air...it's all good.

WB

BrotherBart said:
wendell said:

Bart, If I recall correctly, you're a bit older than me. Why don't you call a lumber mill and see if you can some already cut to length slab wood. I paid about $50.00 a cord for mine. It isn't the best wood around, but I mostly heated my house with this year. I bought $200.00 worth of it and then burnt a couple of cords I split. This year I'm getting $300.00 worth of it and retiring my saw after I cut up what's laying in the backyard now.

karl said:
Bart, If I recall correctly, you're a bit older than me. Why don't you call a lumber mill and see if you can some already cut to length slab wood. I paid about $50.00 a cord for mine. It isn't the best wood around, but I mostly heated my house with this year. I bought $200.00 worth of it and then burnt a couple of cords I split. This year I'm getting $300.00 worth of it and retiring my saw after I cut up what's laying in the backyard now.

I have wanted to do that for years but there aren't any mills around here.

The saw mills around here chip all their slabs and sell the chips to our pulp mill. They even process all their biomass and sell it. We have a huge biomass boiler that can eat three B train loads per hour.

BTW, here's what a B train looks like.
dc-chambers-chip-hauler-kelowna-lumber-mill.jpg

northwinds said:
During the last couple of days, I've gone to one fire per day--about 7 p.m. Temps have only been
in the 50's, but solar gain is keeping our main living area in the low 70's during the day.

We're headed into a weekend of rain and 40's. I'll probably move to two small fires per day instead
of one big one. I need to start mixing in some shoulder season wood, so I don't overheat the house.

With the change in weather to more spring like...like Northwinds I let my fire die twice a day. I vary the amount of fuel placed in the stove and in some cases use low BTU wood such as Paper Birch, Black Cherry and Walnut. In addition, I adjust the louvered floor opening above the stove to regulate the amount of heat moving into the first floor.

The stove is located in the basement, which has poured concrete walls and floor. The stove pipe is installed in a dual flue chimney whereby the foundation starts in the basement. This foundation is three feet thick x five feet wide x eight feet high. It has a rubble stone and concrete interior faced with full size brick and functions well as part of the heat sink basement. I purposelly installed the stove within 18 inches of the wall to radiate heat into the chimney foundation.

Jackpine

jackpine said:
northwinds said:

With the change in weather to more spring like...like Northwinds I let my fire die twice a day. I vary the amount of fuel placed in the stove and in some cases use low BTU wood such as Paper Birch, Black Cherry and Walnut. In addition, I adjust the louvered floor opening above the stove to regulate the amount of heat moving into the first floor.

The stove is located in the basement, which has poured concrete walls and floor. The stove pipe is installed in a dual flue chimney whereby the foundation starts in the basement. This foundation is three feet thick x five feet wide x eight feet high. It has a rubble stone and concrete interior faced with full size brick and functions well as part of the heat sink basement. I purposelly installed the stove within 18 inches of the wall to radiate heat into the chimney foundation.

Jackpine

Same here . . . two fires a day . . . morning fire and evening fire . . . and I'm using my slab wood, junk wood and small stuff . . . although I'm still having to dig it out of the nearly two feet of snow we have here.

Gonna be a record high of 83 deg here today in north bama - that's obscene. I've got an emergency call in to Algore - maybe buying carbon credits will decrease the temps back to woodburning levels.

It's Zero here this morning, I'm still burnin'. The "weather man" is calling for 40's Saturday and Sunday, Keeping my fingers crossed.

LLigegfa,

I've got to look into that biomass boiler, the State(MI) wants to build one near my home town in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. If you have any information I would like to see it.

Garett

G-rott said:
If you have any information I would like to see it.
Here is a link to articles in the local newspaper.
http://www.fftimes.com/search/node/biomass

We got a big dump of snow here and then a deep freeze. Was -29C the other morning and -17C today so the fire hasn't gone out again. The weather prognosticators are calling for above freezing this weekend so I will again be letting it die.

I need to clear the snow around my wood precessing area today to finish off bucking the other 6 cord. The fresh snow is drifted in knee deep in places. The work area was just right before the snow came. Had a nice layer of saw cuttings over the hard packed snow to keep my leather boots dry. Now it's going to be a sloppy wet mess with the coming thaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.