Let's see your cold weather loads, America!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great points! I will probably wait till it's well into the coaling stage most of the time. And always down around 200. I don't want to be the "toss one on every hour guy" as I understand that's bad. Lol

Great points! I will probably wait till it's well into the coaling stage most of the time. And always down around 200. I don't want to be the "toss one on every hour guy" as I understand that's bad. Lol
Yeah, tossing a couple in all the time is too much work. ;lol Not to mention that you're breaking the burn cycle and flushing heat up the flue every time you open the door. Just be aware that a load of smaller splits has more exposed wood surfaces and if they all get burning at once, you're going to the moon! Less dense woods like soft Maple will also gas more quickly than dense woods.

I usually let it die down, and rake some of the coals forward. Creates ash that I can empty, and makes room for the next load.

Few weeks ago i loaded n/s in the shelburne! 13" splits in the stack. Just got up now (2:30am) to hot for a reload b4 bed, and stuck 7 splits in and a piece of pallet.

When was that oak c/s/s? Looks like you've got some sizzlers in the bunch, looks way to fresh to have any luck with oak. Time to start working on the 3 year plan! :)

Reactions: Knots
Only supposed to be in the teens tonight so I didn't get crazy.

Attachments

• DSC_0756.JPG
    DSC_0756.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 195
So as the fire is dying down do you break it up or just let it go and keep it shut?
If it's cold out and you need to load up and get 'er crankin' but you've got a bunch of coals in the way of loading full, you can pull 'em forward and open the air to keep getting some heat until you have enough room to load. If you just keep loading without burning coals down, pretty soon you are back to being that dreaded "toss one in every hour" guy. ;lol

Not that cold here but I'll join. Alder and Doug Fir tonight. Would do the same load if it was really cold.

Attachments

• IMG_20150201_021256.jpg
    IMG_20150201_021256.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20150201_021234.jpg
    IMG_20150201_021234.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20150201_023247.jpg
    IMG_20150201_023247.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 204
Not a full load today in the T5... 40 deg and feels balmy here

IMAG0547.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my night load. I was watching s good football game but it seems like Seattle is creeping ahead. Another cold night -32c (-25.6f) last night currently -26c (-14.8f) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422842913.884503.jpg

Reactions: rideau
Here's my night load. I was watching s good football game but it seems like Seattle is creeping ahead. Another cold night -32c (-25.6f) last night currently -26c (-14.8f) View attachment 152368
Shew! Where was it -25 today?! That's a good looking stack, though.

Eight splits in the king ;)

0204151809.jpg

Not the best cold weather load, as 'average' splits burn hotter for me. Mostly ash with a little oak, been in my stacks for 4-5 years. It'll do. 'Posta be a little less than zero tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.