Let's see your tinder bundle.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely agree. Excellent point of clarification. And everyone should read their manual on how to properly light and maintain their stove.

FWIIW (for what it is worth): Most junk mail here is on normal paper or newsprint. That is what I use and was referring to, but I admit that was not clear and so very much appreciate your comment.

The slick paper junk mail fliers I receive from "Staples" et al, go into the trash.

if you are using it to start the stove, and don't have the cat engaged, it should be bypassing the cat, right?

The slick paper junk mail fliers I receive from "Staples" et al, go into the trash.
Just wondering, do they recycle paper in Hungary?
if you are using it to start the stove, and don't have the cat engaged, it should be bypassing the cat, right?
More than if you had the bypass closed, but some smoke will still get pulled through the cat so I wouldn't take a chance. On a side note, I watched some black and white newspaper burn outside yesterday, and noticed black smoke....now I don't even trust it in my stove. I've been using mostly SuperCedar chunks anyway, when I don't start with a coal bed.

My dad will get candles from the garbage and pour the melted wax over pine sawdust placed in paper egg cartons. He has given me these before to use. However wood, when split small enough, will light with just a match. I usually use small pine slivers, light them, then pile on larger pine slivers, 3-4 1x1 splits, a smallish split, and then whatever else will stack on. I do this in front of an otherwise full load,with about 6-8 inches left in front to do this process. After that, I shut the load door, open the ash pan door, and grab my IR thermometer to make sure nothing gets too hot. Takes about 5 minutes to get everything lit and burning well. I have a propane torch that I use if the match doesn't work.

This is with an old wood/coal combo unit. I gather newer stoves are more picky, and easier to over fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.