Lets See Your Wood Piles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 28, 2022
UP
Here's mine after burning since October.

IMG_0116.JPG

Can't get to the barrn for more cause of two feet of snow.

IMG_0118.JPG

Here is about five days worth.

IMG_0117.JPG

I’ll play since it’s raining out.
091A296C-CA2C-40AB-98DC-0414B97A1965.jpeg
This is my approx. 8 cord wood shed, I burn about 3.5 to 4 cords a season, I alternate sides or bays, so the splits once reloaded in the spring have 2 full summers under a roof, wood moisture after sitting for 2 years in the shed is around 14% or so, very happy with the whole setup, considering that I’m a back yard builder that usually just thinks something up and make work as I go along.

7C73A97D-65A7-426E-947A-5908D798BFE4.jpeg
Those are my newest rows, each row holds 3 full cords, almost finished the 3rd but as you can see, the ground got a little soft on top of the frost line and I don’t want to deal with ruts in the spring, I’m pulling these splits from a pile to the right of this picture.

872D82BC-BFB4-4A3F-AC1C-35A8B6C3ABF5.jpeg
Here’s the current pile (blocked by the tree) I’ll finish the last 3 cord row and be able to fill an open bay in the woodshed this spring with it, the small little pile next to the trailer is for camp firewood, some tulip poplar got mixed in with the log lengths I was getting, no big deal since it was free.
A4D5C7F6-D29E-43B5-9410-E66267A0D14C.jpeg
Here’s the same pile when I got done splitting the last log and giving the area a good rake, most wood I’ve ever split at once, it was a lot of fun and I felt proud of myself for taking it on. If you look to the left of the trailer, you’ll see round cones, that was my solution for the small cutoffs/ uglies, works really well for making things neat.
DFE11975-87BF-4D70-90DF-9CF740F80D73.jpeg
Here’s the garage rack, holds between 7-9 days worth of wood, I try not to pull from it until it gets really cold out, until then it’s a wheel barrel load direct from the shed in the driveway to the little rack by the stove.

Down day recovering from last night's festivities and watching some football so I'll play too.
Here are my pics.

About 8 cord on these piles. I have this and about 3 more cord on another pile closer to the house.
Firewood 20220501_174316 Rev..jpg

Basement storage, just over 4 cord that heats the house in a season.
Firewood 20221030_084422.jpg

About 8 cord on these piles
Nice work, I use to use T posts all the time, one thing I learned with the posts is when you get your stacks about 1/2 in height, you can run about 20ft of rope tied to the post and stack the rest on top of the rope, the weight of the wood on the rope sucks the T post into the stack so you dont need to worry about the post bending the other way and needing support.

I've heard of that trick but I have not tried it yet. I think I might give it a try.
In that row there are 7 separate cribs separated by T-posts. It works well, but a lot of the time when I take one out of the middle (the stacks are not piled sequentially) I will have a problem where the neighboring stack bends the t-post toward the empty crib. Using wire or rope might minimize that problem.
I take some pride in a nice neat woodpile!

Couple seasons worth in the sheds. A couple seasons worth bucked and stacked waiting for shed space to become available. Approximately 20 cord.
20230101_101752.jpg
20230101_101836.jpg
20230101_101903.jpg
20230101_101928.jpg

I could, but won't, get out to my barn where the main stock is. Two feet of snow on the ground. I got close to four years worth out there, (7 full cord) some going on six years split and stacked. Got this new stove though, which goes through the wood, Drolet Legend III. Used to go through a little over two full cord a year. Wondering how much I'll need. Legend does keep the house much warmer but would like to conserve wood.

Last edited:
51196F20-E1A3-4D9D-BFA8-041131F5A4C4.jpeg

6AD925E9-3EF7-4079-9B5D-E62244392848.jpeg

B03410A2-EE09-4263-B7EC-5482AE57B000.jpeg

I try to keep a couple park benches worth of wood on the porch. A full wagon is about a bench worth.

Looks good.... except for that splitting maul. Get a couple wedges and a 2-3 pound short handle sledge. Tap the wedge in. Tap the other wedge in. Unless you like the work out.

Do you swing that up over your head? Here is what I'm talking about..... One hand on the hammer, tap away at it.
IMG_0122.JPG

That was already split and have no big logs handy. Two feet of snow here and could, but won't get out to the barn.

Do you swing that up over your head? Here is what I'm talking about..... One hand on the hammer, tap away at it.View attachment 306900

That was already split and have no big logs handy. Two feet of snow here and could, but won't get out to the barn.
Is that the head of a maul you're hitting? Wedges are soft and will mushroom over time, you have to be careful hitting anything that might chip. I have seen what happens when you hit a hammer with a hammer and I have unfortunately experienced hitting something hardened with a hammer that chipped.

Is that the head of a maul you're hitting? Wedges are soft and will mushroom over time, you have to be careful hitting anything that might chip. I have seen what happens when you hit a hammer with a hammer and I have unfortunately experienced hitting something hardened with a hammer that chipped.
Yes it is. The key is to not go wild when smacking it. Just "light" hammer blowes. One hand on the hammer. My 70 year old neighbor showed me this trick. Try it once. My wife can split any gnarly log this way. Just tap, tap, tap,....

Yes it is. The key is to not go wild when smacking it. Just "light" hammer blowes. One hand on the hammer. My 70 year old neighbor showed me this trick. Try it once. My wife can split any gnarly log this way. Just tap, tap, tap,....
I have wedges made for splitting wood.

33ed2796-e503-418c-8331-b01d76f6e558.jpg

Each rack holds 2 cords. Working on that one middle rack so far this year. To the left I have a few bins for fire pit wood and a giant pallet island with another 2-3 cords on it. Off the side of the house is another pallet island. It's primarily red oak with maple, ash, and cherry mixed in. Wood everywhere!

We used 3-4 cords a year here so I try to keep 3 years worth on hand. I'd keep more but the wife says we are already taking up enough space ha.

Reactions: cahaak
Probably 6 to 7 cord in dry garage storage. Probably used 2 to 3cord so far this year. Probably bout 2 to 3 cord in outdoor storage. Goal is to get 30cords stored on our half acre. we shall see. The Mrs might cut that short lol.

20230104_212622.jpg 20230104_212654.jpg

Reactions: PAbeech