Lets See Your Wood Piles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok, I'm in. 10 cords, ready to go in the OWB.
View attachment 306703
I couldnt help but notice your bobcat 7753 light bar, I like it. Did you simply wire it to the existing front light plug and let the factory relay and light switch handle the power to the lightbar? Or did you wire in an aftermarket wiring harness/relay for the power?

I couldnt help but notice your bobcat 7753 light bar, I like it. Did you simply wire it to the existing front light plug and let the factory relay and light switch handle the power to the lightbar? Or did you wire in an aftermarket wiring harness/relay for the power?
The OEM switch was trashed, so I just picked up a switched hot and put a couple toggle switches with inline fuse holders in for the front and rear lights. They are LED and the amperage draw is minimal, no need for relays.

The OEM switch was trashed, so I just picked up a switched hot and put a couple toggle switches with inline fuse holders in for the front and rear lights. They are LED and the amperage draw is minimal, no need for relays.
Ok, thanks. I know the front and rear lights are both run off factory relays. If you used the wiring for the trashed switch then the factory relay is providing the power. I just noticed the light bar was pretty big, I assume it lights up like crazy.

Total newbie to splitting wood and running wood fireplace inserts. I had to cut down a sugar maple to eliminate shade on our newly-installed solar panels. The result is approximately a cord or so of hand-split logs (there's more not shown). The rack is 16' long by 4' tall and about 1' off the ground. Should be ready by next season. I'm going to add another parallel "row" to this and top both with a framed tarp cover.

IMG_5292.jpeg

You all have a LOT of nice wood, and the sheds are nice too. I use a plastic garbage shed outside, a closet inside, and a stack in front of my side door, that we dont use in winter. Not a lot, but I add to it as I burn it.

Reactions: mcdougy
I love seeing these pics, though I must admit that I am too lazy to take a pic of my own. What you would see was 8 holz hausens, roughly 3 yrs worth of wood and about a half of a year's supply in a wood shed. What I love about these pics is that some people sourced some wood and brought it to their place to heat their house and maybe cook their food at a later date. This gives me some faith that we have not abandoned our history that allowed us to stay warm and eat during the cold months. Well done!

Here's a few of my piles. The longest pile about 60' long with the most snow on top is mostly Green Ash I was able to get from the river bottom by dragging out the trees to the field to process. When the ground is froze before it snows makes it possible to get my Bobcat in to do the dirty work. The stacked wood is red oak. I have a few more piles stashed around the woods also. I figure I'm about 8-10 years ahead on firewood. Too much snow right now to keep up the processing but when I get bored. I'll plow a path thru the woods and cut some standing dead oak I marked this past fall. Also, all of the wood you see was split with an ax despite having a wood splitter. I find an ax way faster when splitting red oak and ash.

wp91.jpg wp92.jpg wp93.jpg wp94.jpg

Littledog, I love your pic of the tote frame with on your loader tractor.
1673410302293.png

I see so many folks use the tote frames to store and carry firewood. You apparently use the frame but in addition found a use for the plastic tank to build a roof / cover! Very ingenious!

Reactions: Littledog
Thank you! I found a picture of it on Facebook and thought the same thing. Genius! Now just need to buy more totes. I have 2 of them I keep in rotation. The other is still half full of “chunks and ugly cuts” I need to finish burning

Bout 1/3 of the way through my dry storage. Probably will have about 2 to 3 cords left in there at the end of the season. Got a maybe 3 or 4 cord pile that's not getting more added. Starting on lining our connecting driveway cause that's not really used besides storing dad's camper.

20230115_131833.jpg 20230115_143716.jpg 20230115_143706.jpg