Level to level heat transfer ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THE WOOD MASTER

Aug 15, 2013
mankato Mn 56001
Has anyone ever done any experimenting with moving heat fro one level to another. I have read a few threads on this but am looking for some fresh input?
I have a basic rambler style house with woodstove on main floor with no ductwork and want to move a bit of heat to basement, posibbly doing a minor construction and install some ductwork in the wall. I have looked at different level to level fans but not sure what the best way to go is, don't want to create a natural fire hazzard by doing it? Any idea's ??
Thanks

It would be more efficient to insulate the area of the basement you want to heat and use an electric heater there.

Move the stove to the basement....lol!

It is difficult to heat a main floor from the basement with a wood stove, I do it but it isn't as great (we do spend a bit of time and sleep in the basement though especially in winter so it works out well in the end).

I can't imagine successfully getting heat to go and stay downstairs substantially well. Best bet would be a stove on both floors. Have your nice stove in the main living area, and a smaller stove for supplemental heat in the secondary area.

I am thinking about putting a stove in the 2nd floor, but honestly this area has never seen so much cold and snow in over 100 years. If this winter was like the past 3 the wood stove in the basement would have performed superbly (it does a great job as long as it is above 15 degrees at night). We haven't had an evening over 5-10 degrees in almost 5-6 weeks (except maybe 3-4 days here and there).

Status
Not open for further replies.